Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Alph-Art: Tintin speaking in English?

snowybella
#1 · Posted: 7 Oct 2017 14:10
I've been looking at my Egmont Tintin and Alph-Art for no particular reason, when suddenly on page 29, there is a sketch of what looks like Tintin saying "STOP Capitaine! Stop!". Because all of the other dialogue in the sketches are in French, I'm quite surprised at why Tintin didn't say "stop" in French. Can anybody think of a reason for this?

snowybella
Shivam302001
#2 · Posted: 7 Oct 2017 14:19
snowybella
There is always the possibility of Hergé writing it in mistake. But if Hergé did it on purpose, it maybe because the words flew out of Tintin's mouth due to the urgency of the situation?
Does it not happen to you that if you are familiar with two languages, the two of them might get mixed up sometimes?

I can find no other explanations.

Over to the others.
mct16
#3 · Posted: 7 Oct 2017 20:36
The term "Stop" is used in French as well as in English. French roads even have signs with the word "STOP" in them, like in many other countries, so for Tintin to use that term in a French-language edition is not unusual.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!