Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Le Petit Vingtième: Tintin's "Cigars of the Pharaoh" interview, 24th November, 1932

Shivam302001
#1 · Posted: 12 Oct 2017 18:03
I recently found out that a fictional interview with Tintin was printed on 24th November, 1932 in Le Petit Vingtième.

Can anybody give me particulars of what this interview was about and whether it can be found anywhere?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 12 Oct 2017 23:05
It was a feature of the early stories being published that the gap between one adventure ending and the next starting be filled with bits and pieces to keep the audience interested. Probably the most famous was the staging of the arrival of Tintin by train when he returned from Russia, held in Brussels, and covered in the Petit Vingtième.

We've also covered the sequences which took place before and after the trip to the Congo.

The interview you talk of was in the weeks leading up to the start of Cigars, and had the boy reporter being interviewed about his travel plans by Jam (the pen-name of Paul Jamin, who, along with Eugène Van Nyverseel, served as the earliest of Hergé's assistants).

I don't know anywhere where the interview is reproduced, off the top of my head, but it might be somewhere in a book - I dare say the collected stories which are being published by Casterman may include it.

Interestingly, it has been said that Hergé once asked E.P. Jacobs to choose his favourite of nearly 600 Petit Vingtième covers, and Jacobs selected the atmospheric image on this issue - showing Tintin and Snowy peering out of the darkness from behind a statue of the Buddha, wreathed in smoke from an incense burner.
Shivam302001
#3 · Posted: 14 Oct 2017 10:16
Can you please provide me with a link so that I can see some of them?Most of the links given here do not work anymore, so is there any specific site?
jock123
#4 · Posted: 14 Oct 2017 12:55
Shivam302001:
Can you please provide me with a link

A link to what? If you are referring to the interview from 1932, as I said, I don't know of it being reprinted anywhere, and unless it's on the official Tintin.com site, we can't link to an unofficial copy here.

Shivam302001:
Most of the links given here do not work anymore

Really? While some links will have broken, many still work. If you are encountering many, as you say, you should let Admin know, and we can see about removing them.
Shivam302001
#5 · Posted: 14 Oct 2017 13:51
I just wanted to know of some more instances of these interesting Tintin materials published in the papers in between the stories (if there are any more) particularly in between America, Cigars and Blue Lotus, for I'm quite interested in this early part of Tintin's adventures.
You can just provide a link in this very site if it has been discussed before.
I hope it can be adjusted in the same thread.
By the way, I liked the Tintin trivia in the albums guide in your site a lot.

Moderator Note: We'll keep this thread for Cigars of the Pharaoh information, and make separate threads if there's anything about other stories hgetting simialr treatment.
There's a new thread started for Tintin in America here: Le Petit Vingtième: Introductory episodes for start of "Tintin in America" (1931)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!