Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Dark and disturbing scene in the Tintin albums?

Page  Page 12 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

mct16
#111 · Posted: 20 Mar 2012 18:25
Marquis de Gorgonzola:
The whole story of Flight 714 is dark and disturbing

I wouldn't quite go that far. There's also great humour like Carreidas cheating at battleships and drives Rastapopoulos mad with rage when he confesses everything apart from what the gangster wants.

For me, the most disturbing scenes are the appearance of the lava and Calculus getting lost in the fumes, not to mention the sudden eruption of the volcano!
Furienna
#112 · Posted: 21 Mar 2012 10:31
mct16:
I wouldn't quite go that far. There's also great humour like Carreidas cheating at battleships and drives Rastapopoulos mad with rage when he confesses everything apart from what the gangster wants.

That's true, "Flight 714 to Sydney" has its good points too. But this adventure and "Tintin and the Picaros" aren't considered as good as most previous albums, even though Hergé took longer and longer time to finish a new adventure, and I'm afraid I have to agree with that. It seemed like he was losing his touch. "Tintin and the Alph-Art" seemed much more promising though. It's too bad Hergé passed away before he was able to finish that one...
Magpie
#113 · Posted: 9 May 2012 23:13
I agree that Rascar capac is very chilling! Also the end-of-the-world scene from Shooting Star, and Tintin being hypnotised in Flight 714. I didn't like how the Americans in Tintin in America were so eager to hang Tintin, and how the man at the bank tells the police that as soon as they found the bank robbed, they hanged 'a few fellers' right away. And the real bad guy still escaped!
Furienna
#114 · Posted: 9 May 2012 23:33
Yeah, even though I consider the hypnosis scene in "Flight 714 to Sydney" the most disurbing scene in all "Tintin", there are many disturbing scenes in "Tintin in America" as well. But you have to remember, that when Hergé first made this adventure, he worked at a rather anti-American news-paper. All good Catholic Belgian children were supposed to be taught how bad Americans were. They were violent, ruthless and only cared about money. And to make it even worse, I've seen versions, where they say a few "negroes" were hung, hinting at how strong racism still was in America in the 1930s.
gorfdota
#115 · Posted: 31 Oct 2013 18:57
I can't recall being spooked by Rascar Capac's mummy as a child, but I was definitely spooked by the devils leading the two villains to hell at the end of The Broken Ear - and I had no religious upbringing!
My sense of decency at the time was mainly offended by depictions of death it seems.
So I also found Jorgen's death very disturbing, but not Wolff's suicide, since the latter wasn't actually depicted, and we weren't confronted with his dead body.

When I was about 11, I kept having actual nightmares in my sleep about Cigars of the Pharaoh, which hadn't spooked me at all when I first came across it.
As an adult I have had no trouble with it whatsoever, and find it funny rather than disturbing. But the death scenes I still find chilling.

One other scene I find particularly disturing is in Flight 714, where Carreidas pushes the Captain, who is offering a hand to help him, into the lava.
The sheer callousness of the millionaire is astonishing.
FormulaFourteen
#116 · Posted: 2 Nov 2013 09:47
I also was freaked out as a kid by Rascar Capac's mummy... pretty much everything about him. The other one that stood out for me, though, was Wolff's suicide. Even now that I am an adult, it really does seem a pretty mature subject for a work of children's literature!

Oddly enough, though, I was almost put in cold sweats just today by the memory of a certain Tintin escapade. Early this afternoon a friend and I got into a random conversation with a lady about catastrophic weather conditions, and how she believed many were man-made, using the principles of Nikolai Tesla. She told us she could predict when there was going to be a catastrophic earthquake by watching global weather readings. There's an anomalous signal that appears, she says, a few days before a major earthquake. Whenever she spots it, she knows that in a day or two, there will be a quake- she just doesn't know where. Exactly what the signal is, she wouldn't say, telling us that she won't tell anybody specifically what she looks for (of course!).

Many say something like this is ridiculous, but of course these nature of theories also have many supporters.

Anyway... Back to Tintin... I haven't really ever had someone proclaim something so apocalyptic and dire with such conviction directly to my face before, eye to eye- It made me immediately think of Philippulus the Prophet from the Shooting Star- "Judgement is upon us! The end of the world is at hand!" I had always laughed at the slight creepiness of this episode, but today, all of a sudden, it really seemed like a terrible prophecy for someone to spit at you.

The connection just really alarmed me, even though I wasn't terribly convinced by the woman's story... Just suddenly realized what a truly horrible sort of thing this could be for someone to tell you straight to your face!
TomE
#117 · Posted: 25 Mar 2014 23:40
Yeah, the scene with Rascar Capac in The Seven Crystal Balls, and later the bloody hand-print on the tree do it for me.
I think I find that book the most emotionally wrenching of the series (I certainly did the first time I read it, anyway!).

Also the moment when we discover Wolff has effectively committed suicide in Destination Moon was very shocking.
tintinforever
#118 · Posted: 18 Feb 2017 03:23
Tintin in the Congo's animal cruelty scenes are disturbing, and lower the tone of Herge's work, and even he was clearly uncomfortable about it later on. I loathe the animal cruelty, but the second edition of the book ( which edits out the most egregious scenes) is saved by the artwork and the sensitive shading and colouring.

(People frequently criticise the racial insensitivity of the book as disturbing too, and it is pretty poor, but if one puts such clumsy tropes in wider context (cultural ignorance of the day ) and if one bears in mind that Herge pokes fun at all his characters anyway, one can, in my view, get past that and just enjoy the book in its entirety)
Furienna
#119 · Posted: 1 Feb 2018 09:04
tintinforever:
Tintin in the Congo's animal cruelty scenes are disturbing

I have to agree here. The scenes with animal cruelty is far more disturbing to me than the racial stereotypes. At least no human (except of course for the villain, but he was white) was killed off.
Prof Schwarzschild Calculus
#120 · Posted: 8 Mar 2018 12:52
One scene that was moving and in some sense disturbing is the one in Tintin in Tibet where the Captain offers to sacrifice himself so that Tintin may live . Another one such is Wolff's sacrifice in Explorers on the Moon .
Other disturbing moments are: (in no particular order)
->The dream about Rascar Capac in The Seven Crystal Balls
->Alonso Perez and Ramon Bada's death in The Broken Ear
->Tintin eating Sclasczek at the Syldavian restaurant
->The fate of Dr. Krolspell in Flight 714
->The final panel of Tintin and the Picaros

Page  Page 12 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!