Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

If Tintin played an instrument what composer would he prefer?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Shivam302001
#11 · Posted: 10 May 2018 17:14
snowybella
In the last frame on page 50 of The Castafiore Emerald (in the English version - I do not know about the French version), when Wagner goes to the village, Tintin proclaims that he will be spared that piano for a change.
On page 50 of Red Rackham's Treasure, Tintin starts singing with joy when the Professor points out the cross on the island.
We also see the Captain breaking out in a song on page 32 of the same book.
Furthermore, we see Tintin whistling in many of his adventures, which goes on to show, I believe, that he has a bent towards music, even if he is not obsessed with it.
snowybella
#12 · Posted: 11 May 2018 01:55
Shivam302001

In this case, I think "spared the piano for a change" means that he's glad not to hear Wagner playing his scales for a change. I had forgotten completely about the singing-and-dancing sequence in Red Rackham's Treasure though, and that he whistles in other adventures.

Back on topic...

Since I can play the piano reasonably well, I think that Tintin would be able to play nicely on it, with Captain Haddock playing the Tibetan wind-instrument (Tintin in Tibet page 61) during pauses, Calculus with a violin, the Thom(p)sons on xylophones and Snowy playing some ambient piano-music on top of the piano at the end of the performance.
Shivam302001
#13 · Posted: 11 May 2018 16:06
snowybella
Now that you mentioned it, I think you are right.
Anyway, according to me, I can only picture Tintin playing the piano, or perhaps some wind instrument.
The Captain can sing (no opera, please), or maybe play the guitar (considered by Hergé in Alph-Art).
Whatever the Thom(p)sons play, they will surely bungle up at the most critical moment.
As for Snowy, he can surely add some tunes if he is given the dead man's flute (Prisoners of the Sun).
Rocky
#14 · Posted: 17 May 2018 10:12
I don't believe anyone has mentioned that Tintin clearly does have a musical ear, as he creates and plays a musical instrument in 'Cigars of the Pharaoh', a trumpet carved from wood. He uses it to communicate with an elephant via musical notes. Page 35.
jock123
#15 · Posted: 17 May 2018 16:02
Rocky:
I don't believe anyone has mentioned that Tintin clearly does have a musical ear

It's covered in another topic already, on that very point! I give you: Is Tintin Musically Talented?

We also have a thread on the subject of his musical taste: What kind of music might Tintin be interested in?

This thread was already wandering around a bit, so just a quick request to keep it on topic: the questioner is looking for a composer that might interest Tintin.

It's always tempting to expand an issue, especially one which has no clear or definitive outcome, but we have to try and keep our focus, and we are cautious about not taking speculation into out-and-out fan fictionalizing!

It may be that there isn't enough distinction between the subjects of the three threads, and they may in the end have to be merged, but let's see how things go for the moment...

So what composer or composers would have Tintin's attention?
Rocky
#16 · Posted: 17 May 2018 16:18
I suggest Django Reinhardt, a French jazz guitarist and composer born in Belgium in 1910.
Shivam302001
#17 · Posted: 17 May 2018 18:10
I think Tintin would have liked Beethoven.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!