Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Fifa World Cup 2018

Shivam302001
#1 · Posted: 18 Jun 2018 15:43
Fifa World Cup 2018 in Russia has officially kicked off and the world is in the grip of a football fever. We know that this edition of the global event promises to be an exciting one.

I am supporting Belgium this time around as they are the dark horses and I like the potential of this team. In case you want to know more about this tournament or wonder whether Tintin ever played football, see here.

Which team are you supporting?
Shivam302001
#2 · Posted: 8 Jul 2018 21:00
So we are in the business end of the World Cup. It's France vs Belgium and England vs Croatia in the semifinals.

And the interesting bit is that the French and the Belgian newspapers have roped in Asterix (for France) and Tintin (for Belgium) to add spice to the pre-match analysis.

'It is more than a match'-Aujourd'hui en France newspaper reported, followed by a full-front page spread that featured Tintin and Asterix. Sports Daily L'Equipe twisted a frame of Destination Moon to feature French and Belgian players. Le Journal du Dimanche published six pages of Franco-Belgian relationships along with an excerpt from an Asterix comic book on its front page.

So the stage is set for the world cup semis and the big final. Will it be Tintin's Belgium or Asterix's France? Will Sherlock Holmes' England steal the show or will the Croatians spring a surprise? Only time will tell...
jock123
#3 · Posted: 10 Jul 2018 13:50
There's a nice cartoon by Patrick Chappatte, for the Le Temps of Lausanne newspaper, of Asterix and Tintin facing off as "Asterix v Tintin, in the Land of the Soviets" here.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 11 Jul 2018 13:21
After yesterday's match, I felt that this cartoon by Uderzo, mentioned before by member John Sewell here in this thread, was an appropriate response (Spoilers: Belgium didn't win...).
Shivam302001
#5 · Posted: 11 Jul 2018 20:46
Finally, Umtiti's lone goal stopped Belgium from advancing to the final. However, Belgium have announced to the world that they are a team to reckon with. Best of luck to France for the final.

By the way, I saw an interesting art which gave credit to Obelix's abilities from the magic potion for France's victory, but ultimately it's the actual players who matter, and I will be cheering France in the finals.

P.S: Which song do the English sing while cheering their team? Does anyone know?
jock123
#6 · Posted: 12 Jul 2018 11:38
Shivam302001:
Which song do the English sing while cheering their team? Does anyone know?

Last night they appeared sometimes to be singing the British national anthem (God Save the Queen), accompanied by a vuvuzela, which was unusual sounding, to say the least, but mostly it is the pop song Three Lions (Football's Coming Home), by Baddiel, Skinner & Lightning Seeds, which was actually written for the Euro '96 tournament.
Shivam302001
#7 · Posted: 12 Jul 2018 18:06
Such irony! And to think that they again lost in the semis to Croatia (which by the way did not even exist when England played in the semis the previous time) just does not help. So sorry for England for missing out closely again. Better luck to them next time.(again?!)
Shivam302001
#8 · Posted: 16 Jul 2018 16:31
Congratulations to all the French supporters. France has won the 2018 Fifa World Cup in Russia. Croatia have got silver while Belgium are the recipients of the bronze medal.

And hence, a brilliant world cup topped with a brilliant final ultimately comes to an end.
Richard1631978
#9 · Posted: 20 Jul 2018 20:05
The Cigars Of The Pharaoh has the only reference to football I can think of in the Tintin stories, unless anyone can think of another.
Shivam302001
#10 · Posted: 21 Jul 2018 03:42
Richard1631978
Where is that reference to the football part in the Cigars of the Pharaoh? Please give the page number.

As for the other football references, Tintin and Snowy mocked a police-officer when Tintin kicked him and made him fall into the canal by comparing it to a penalty kick in page 51 of the Soviets book.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!