Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin in the Congo: Egmont to cease publication of the book

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

jock123
#31 · Posted: 6 Sep 2017 16:51
According to Richard's last post in this thread, of the 28th October 2016, he had a date of the 30th of November 2016 for release - did you find something that says it was delayed?
Confusingly, Amazon's publication details for the book gives a release date of the 27th of October 2016, which was the day before Richard's post, so we may be able to rule that one out too!
snowybella
#32 · Posted: 7 Sep 2017 01:46
jock123:
did you find something that says it was delayed?

Unfourtunately I've lost the original email from the Tintin Shop, so now I'm actually unsure if it was January or December 2016...
snowybella
#33 · Posted: 17 Jul 2018 01:32
Ten days and 10 months have passed, and we finally have the answer!

I took my Tintin in the Congo off the shelf after a while, and, remembering this discussion, I checked the first page. Beneath the foreword, it says "Depot legal : octobre 2016", and then a group of numbers I don't understand.

So here is our answer - one can guess the book was printed sometime in October 2016.
jock123
#34 · Posted: 17 Jul 2018 08:57
snowybella:
one can guess the book was printed sometime in October 2016

While that may be true, that's a leap to make - the "depot legal" is just when a copy of the book was placed in a designated copyright library; the numbers will be a reference for cataloguing that the deposit has been made.
I don't know if the date bears any relationship to printing, or even publication, but if in this case it does, it could just as easily be coincidence.
snowybella
#35 · Posted: 18 Jul 2018 01:34
After looking through page 21 of the forums, I found that you had announced that Casterman had began publishing the book, along with mentioning the Tintin Shop's 20% off coupon that lasts "until the end of December 2016". Since the Tintin Shop tends to give out discount codes that work for a month after an item's release, we should be able to pin the date down between or around October and December 2016.
jock123
#36 · Posted: 18 Jul 2018 21:37
snowybella:
we should be able to pin the date down between or around October and December 2016.

I like your reasoning, but I'm thinking that that just circles back to the original problem - was the book actually released to schedule, or was publication pushed back to 2017? Was the Tintin Shop's offer made in anticipation of the book being available, and then the book was delayed?

It shows how hard it is to pin things down, even for recent events - it's only a year or so ago, but it's now like ancient history... ;-)

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!