Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Why ban Tintin fan fiction?

Page  Page 7 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

jock123
#61 · Posted: 11 Jan 2019 16:58
RicardoOlcese:
And so many (dozens) of changes of the kind. Wouldn't that be "creating a new story" using Tintin, and thus contradicting Hergé's will?

You are asking the wrong person...
You are treating this as if there is some way in which you can run a ring around me, and prove a point, as if I was the one holding the rights and making the decisions, and, by, some feat of logic, you will be able to make something happen, or me slap my forehead, and say, "Gosh! You are right!"

The situation is that I am not, and there isn't an answer, or a way to lay out the facts that will amount to a different ending.

Simple truth is that Mme. Rodwell, who, as Hergé's beneficiary, does control the rights, has principles about what does and does not constitute something which would be acceptable to Hergé, and applies them as she sees appropriate, given her deep and close understanding of - and respect for - her late husband's wishes.

There is no amount of argumentation which will budge that position, and there is no need for her to explain her decisions as to what is and isn't acceptable.

As far as can be told or interpreted from what has been down, she allows for and accepts a deal of leeway for those presenting the stories in adaptation to alter material; on the other hand, new comic-strips would not be acceptable.
RicardoOlcese
#62 · Posted: 11 Jan 2019 17:28
jock123
Alright, alright. Sorry, jock! You seem such an authority here, and you know SO much about Tintin, that I thought for a moment you were Hergé in disguise or something like that. Cheers and I won't insist on this. :)
jock123
#63 · Posted: 12 Jan 2019 11:21
RicardoOlcese:
Alright, alright. Sorry, jock!

You've done nothing that needs an apology...! I was just trying to let you down gently...! ;-)

RicardoOlcese:
You seem such an authority here

You flatter me...! :-)

RicardoOlcese:
I thought for a moment you were Hergé in disguise

I may look like I am 112 years old, but I am not Hergé... (Looks at the name written on my business cards, and checks mirror to be sure...)

RicardoOlcese:
Cheers and I won't insist on this.

Agreeing to disagree is a sign of polite debate and discussion - you make your passion for the subject known while remaining courteous, and it's that kind of thing which makes discussion forums fun! Thanks!

Page  Page 7 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!