Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Cigars of the Pharaoh: Smuggler's base right under Maharaja's palace?

RicardoOlcese
#1 · Posted: 6 Feb 2019 18:44
P. 53 and f., you see the bad guys had built a secret, huge, concrete base, right under/next to the Maharaja's palace. How could they build it without the Maharaja and his guards noticing? No noise, no dust, no nothing. That's certainly what they call doing something in front of someone else's nose!
snowybella
#2 · Posted: 6 Feb 2019 23:53
I think this is what happened:

There was originally a base further away from the Palace, but something bad was slowly happening to it (maybe the Maharaja's forces were trying to arrest them?). One day, when the Maharaja's father was ruling, he commisionned for some more trees in the palace gardens.

(From this point onwards, my memory may be switching from the colour edition to the facsimile, so bear with me!)

The Maharaja's traitor advisor saw this as the gang's chance to escape unnoticed, as anyway they needed to get rid of him and his family. He got a fake palm-tree smuggled, which was hollow, and in the night, the base was steadily built, and the fakir managed to use his magic and conjure away any pieces of the evidence.
JKM
#3 · Posted: 7 Feb 2019 05:15
Maybe the underground lair did exist before the palace was built?
I assume that it is part of an ancient tomb that was forgotten - it's more obvious in the original black and white version when there was this statue with the snakes in it and the trapdoor leading to a pool with crocodiles.

Maybe the fakir knew about the old tomb and the bad guys decided to turn it into their headquarters?
They then re-installed all those traps that were originally there to prevent tomb raiders getting into the tomb.
Shivam302001
#4 · Posted: 7 Feb 2019 13:56
I think Herge just wanted to find a way to explain how and where the fakir disappeared the previous week during serialisation.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!