Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Lake of Sharks: The voice cast?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

John Sewell
#11 · Posted: 4 Nov 2004 16:48
This is all fascinating stuff! Thanks guys! One thing I'm puzzled by is that the guide on this site, and other sources, say that UK voicemaster Peter Hawkins was also involved with the Belvision series. From what I've read above, specifically Pelaphus' comment about British sounding actors on some of the soundtracks, could he have got involved after Harmon and Frees departed?

As Hawkins did a lot of voice work for the BBC in the late 50s and early 60s, could the Beeb even have done the dubbing themselves. as they did with all those faintly disturbing Eastern European live-action fairy tales that they bought in throughout the 60s and early 70s?

Sorry if I sound like a thickie - it's getting on for 30 years since I saw any of the Belvision cartoons! One thing I do remember, even from back then, is that the booming introduction did sound very similar to the Captain's voice, so I'm assuming that would be Paul Frees. I used to imagine that it was the Captain himself shouting out "Herrrrrrgeee's Adventures Of Tintinnnnn!!!!" using a megaphone from a ship's deck! (who needs a foghorn with him about?)
Harrock n roll
#12 · Posted: 4 Nov 2004 17:10
No misunderstanding Garen:) And I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all - I just thought M. Capart's great research should be shared with you good folks :)

I think the Harmon produced episodes (Objective Moon and others) were originally recorded in English and dubbed into French as they were given a free hand to produce them in Hollywood - after Belvision took over production I would assume it was vice-versa. Anybody know if Frees' biography contains any titbits about his involvement with Tintin? In a career such as his it would probably be just a footnote . I must read it though as I always thought those voicings for the Beatles cartoons which he worked on are pretty bizarre!

The voices to the characters in Lake of Sharks do sound very American in the main, apart from Castafiore who sounds very upper-class English (with just the tiniest hint of Italian) and Rastapopoulos who sounds what can only be described as "foreign", a kind of Italian crossed with East European! I taped Prisoners when it was on good ol' Channel 5 a while ago and the voices are again different, definitely done by English voice-actors I would say. Haddock has more of a booming Shakespearean-actor voice (Brian Blessedish) whereas Tintin isn't too bad - quite posh!

John's point about Peter Hawkins is interesting as the BBC had been involved with Tintin before. According to Harry Thompson's book, in 1959 the Beeb dubbed King Ottokar's Sceptre; one of the pre-Harmon/Belvision cut-out cartoons from '56. The translation to it was done by Turner/Lonsdale-Cooper and Gerald Campion (the Billy Bunter star) provided the voice of Tintin, while Derek Guyler (Corky the policeman in Sykes!) filled in all the other characters.
JacobLBA
#13 · Posted: 29 Aug 2010 10:49
Hello everyone.

As I understand, the voices of the Belvision TV series were provided by Larry Harmon, Dallas McKennon, and Paul Frees in the US, and Peter Hawkins in the UK.

Hawkins also provided the voices of the English version of Tintin and the Temple of the Sun.

Now, the voices in the English version of Tintin and the Lake of Sharks are American, but they are not by Harmon, McKennon or Frees – does anyone know who they are by?

If anyone could help, that would be great.
jock123
#14 · Posted: 29 Aug 2010 11:04
JacobLBA:
Hawkins also provided the voices of the English version of Tintin and the Temple of the Sun.

I think at the moment it is best to describe Mr. Hawkins’s participation as speculation at best, as there doesn’t seem to be hard and fast proof either way. I fear it may be one of these almost self-generating internet “facts” which just run and run (one person posits a theory, someone else quotes it as fact, first person sees this and verifies the rumour, etc., and so it goes round again). It’s been filled in by someone on IMDb, for example, but we need to get documentation to back this up, as such information can be updated by users.

Unless of course you have uncovered a source for this information, which would be most welcome!

As to the cast of Lake of Sharks, no, no one has yet managed to track down the voice artists involved.
CitizenHal
#15 · Posted: 18 Feb 2019 17:05
Apologies for the necro.

It seems to be that the Police Chief in Lake of Sharks is voiced by the same guy that did General Motus in Asterix in Britain, Sean O'Neil.

They sound the same to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true considering a few of the same people worked on Asterix and Tintin films back in the day.
jock123
#16 · Posted: 21 Feb 2019 09:06
CitizenHal:
It seems to be that the Police Chief in Lake of Sharks is voiced by the same guy that did General Motus in Asterix in Britain, Sean O'Neil.

It's possible, I suppose, but would appear to be problematic.
Firstly, there appear to be at least two English-language dubs of the movie, so which would it be?
Secondly, in any event, IMDb doesn't list it in his biog, and he doesn't have any credits before 1982, which seems to put him out of the frame, timewise.
I know IMDb isn't perfect, but I think we'd need to establish his age and career-path before making it a given (he might prove to be too young, or wasn't an actor at the time, for example).
CitizenHal:
considering a few of the same people worked on Asterix and Tintin films back in the day.

Is that true? Have you any examples or references - because it could go some way towards resolving the identities of cast members! :-)
Shivam302001
#17 · Posted: 22 Feb 2019 18:11
jock123

These are all Belvision Productions:

Eddie Lateste:
The Temple of the Sun - Director, Writer
Asterix and Cleopatra - Writer
Lake of Sharks - Screenplay

Jos Marissen:
Asterix the Gaul - Screenplay
Temple of the Sun - Writer
Asterix and Cleopetra - Writer
Lake of Sharks - Screenplay

Laszlo Molnar:
Temple of the Sun - Writer, Editor
Asterix the Gaul - Screenplay, Editor
Asterix and Cleopatra - Editor

Francois Leonard:
Asterix the Gaul, Temple of the Sun, Asterix and Cleopatra, Lake of Sharks - Cinematography

That's all I know.
jock123
#18 · Posted: 25 Feb 2019 17:21
Shivam302001:
These are all Belvision Productions:

Yes, thanks for that; that side of things is quite clear, as they are all part of the in-house team at Belvision.
But doesn't in any way indicate information about the voice-casting and dubbing issues, such as who were involved, where and when they were done, or indeed if (as appears to be the case for Lake of Sharks) more than one dubbed soundtrack has been created.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!