Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Endpapers: Gallery of portraits on the inside covers of Tintin albums?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Ranko
#21 · Posted: 3 Dec 2011 18:19
jock123:
Is this the order found in the 3-in-1 version

No. My Egmont 3-in-1's have:

A:Tintin and Zorrino
B:Tintin as a cowboy

This sequence is repeated on the Inside back cover (left and right)
There is an image of Coco however, but no shopkeeper.

And unless I'm very much mistaken the Egmont 3-in-1 gallery is a mirror image of my Methuens (Well, Tintin and the Picaros in this instance)
jock123
#22 · Posted: 27 Aug 2019 14:22
Reviving a quite old thread to say that I have finally put together a key and a guide to identify the portraits in the gallery on the endpapers; I think that it's got everybody, plus some notes about the alternate images in the Golden Press books, etc.
I've posted it to our Facebook page, where you can find it at the moment (and on our Twitter feed); I am sure that it will make its way to the site guides in due course!

UPDATE: The guide linked to above has been revised to reflect the fact that Mikael was quick to spot an error, correcting a mistake that I made earlier in the thread at the same time: the famous "missing" character who is present in the portrait gallery, but not actually found in the English-language books is Commandant Thorpe, not Lt. Edwards. Edwards is the subordinate officer who calls the commandant, and somewhere along the way the names got muddled.
Shivam302001
#23 · Posted: 28 Aug 2019 11:45
jock123
Good job, jock123! It is for the first time that I have seen such a guide based on the Tintin endpapers' gallery.
jock123
#24 · Posted: 29 Aug 2019 10:05
Shivam302001:
Good job, jock123!

Thanks! Yes, I think it fills a gap!
I'll be updating it again shortly, as a few more suggestions have come in to pin down some of the generic portraits to more specific identification (so Snowy in the crown, listed as generic, is of course from Tintin in the Congo - Mikael sorted me out on that one too!), and there is further info on variant page orders to add from Richard.
jock123
#25 · Posted: 1 Sep 2019 23:13
Just a slight thread bump to say I've done further updating to the guide, correcting it in places, adding more notes, including some possible attributions, and tweaking the layout.
I've uploaded version 3.2 to the Facebook page gallery.
Please feel free to enjoy! :-)
Harrock n roll
#26 · Posted: 10 Jun 2020 16:00
I recently came across some more information about these endpapers in Chronologie 6: 1950-1957. The endpapers were (re)drawn late 1957. The books were about to be launched in the UK around this time (and a few other countries, like the US) and Hergé thought the earlier endpaper designs no longer satisfactory. He told his publisher "there should be something new, original" for the new readers who were about to discover his books.

The Chronologie also mentions that Hergé's original idea for the project was a 'farandole' (a kind of dance) of characters led by Tintin, snaking across the double page.

The publisher agreed the endpapers should be updated but they didn't like the dance idea. They proposed "a race of all the characters, who seem to be heading towards the interior of the volume, with the rear endpapers showing the same race in the opposite direction".

Anyway, there was clearly a rationale for including the vast array of characters from earlier books. Many of the books were not yet available since they would be released gradually, so this was a nice way of enticing readers and showing glimpses of the bigger world of Tintin. Well, I know it worked for me! When I was first discovering the books we didn't yet have The Broken Ear, The Blue Lotus, Tintin In America or Tintin In The Congo in English, although I could see some of the characters on the endpapers which was very intruiging.

My particular favourite is the image of Tintin, Snowy and Chang together. This is the photograph that would have existed were it not for the fact the camera was a machine gun (see Lotus, page 48). A nice case of art imitating a fictional alternate reality!
jock123
#27 · Posted: 5 Oct 2020 22:02
Just a quick note to say that I have revised the guide again, to include some further identifications I had missed!

Version 3.3 is now available here.
rosa2000
#28 · Posted: 14 Oct 2020 14:39
Hello everyone, I'm glad to have logged on again recently on this forum :)I,happy to have found this question, because I too have been wondering about a certain pic in the gallery of portraits. Its an abstract drawing of what looks like Captain Haddock, mostly made out of shapes. This has bothered me for a long time as I thought it might have been from one of the comics but as far as I can see it doesn't appear anywhere.
At some point I thought it might even be from Alph-Art as it's about modern art, but I realise it wouldn't be as the inside cover gallery of portraits would have been made long before the idea for Alph-Art. Maybe it has indeed appeared in one of the comics but I haven't noticed it

Anyone have any ideas? Apologies if this has already been asked.

Moderator Note: See our handy guide to the picture gallery, mentioned and linked to in the previous message above, for further information on the abstract picture - the notes sections has some ideas about it's provenance.
The Tintinologist Team
mct16
#29 · Posted: 14 Oct 2020 19:13
Herge was into modern art long before he thought of "Alph Art" so maybe he decided to include it in the gallery just for fun - the sort of work that he would do if he went into actual painting.

I seem to recall that he once considered a story that would take place in an airport and involve stolen art, maybe the painting was part of that story. It was jumping the gun since he never actually drew the story but a sort of reminder of a story he was to draw in the future.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!