Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Blue Lotus: individual redrawn frames

Jyrki21
#1 · Posted: 24 Dec 2004 21:12
Rereading my copy of The Blue Lotus now that I'm home over winter break, I noticed that in addition to the well-known redrawn first few pages of the story, there are several individual frames throughout the story which appear to have been redrawn.

I'm thinking of:

1. The large frame on p. 6, of Tintin being pulled in the rickshaw

2. The fourth frame on p. 12 ("All very mysterious...")

3. <maybe?> The third-last frame on p. 17 (Tintin meeting Wang)

4. The fourth frame on p. 22 (Tintin is discovered by Mitsuhirato)

5. The fourth fram on p. 58 ("Bravo, Chang!")

6. <maybe?> The large frame on p. 59 (The Blue Lotus)

The two big ones, I imagine, were done for layout purposes. But does anyone know why the others might have been redrawn, while no others around them were?
Mikael Uhlin
#2 · Posted: 24 Dec 2004 22:06
If I remember correctly, these frames were not redrawn but actually added (also for layout purposes) when the original pages were edited into 62 pages with four panels each. In other frames, backgrounds and other things have also been added (in a way similar of the colour edition of "King Ottokar's Sceptre").
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#3 · Posted: 24 Dec 2004 23:00
Well spotted Jyrki21, some of these aren't particularly obvious!

1. A redrawn and enlarged frame - added to the 1946 version to fill out the available space on the page. The original was a much smaller frame, the same height and size as others on the page.

2. A redrawn frame (actually, two) - originally one frame showed Tintin reading the telegram, and another showed him reading the letter. Now, both the telegram and letter are shown in a single frame, and a new frame adds the new dialogue: "All very mysterious..."

3. A new frame - the dialogue in this frame was originally given in what is now the first frame of p.18. This sequence has been substantially re-edited, and the order of the frames has been changed.

4. A redrawn frame - the original was much narrower and taller, making it unsuitable for the modern format. But the composition of the characters in the frame is near-identical in both versions.

5. A new frame - not existing at all in the original version.

6. A redrawn and enlarged frame, as with 1.

There are several other examples of modified and deleted frames in the modern version of "The Blue Lotus", but I've just concentrated on Jyrki21's examples for the moment.

Ed

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!