Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

When the joke's on Tintin

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

harishankar
#1 · Posted: 10 Jan 2005 10:30
These forums are full of people who have researched Tintin so much that I'm sure that some of you can point out the sequences where the joke was on Tintin, as opposed to Haddock or the Thompsons for example.

The one I can readily recall is the sequence in "Shooting Star" where Tintin is getting a whiff of fresh sea breeze and he gets sprayed all over and walks away bemused!
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 10 Jan 2005 11:58
They certainly occur far more frequently in the pre-Haddock books, but there must be dozens.

My fave is Tintin looking upwards in Tibet and getting a face full of rotten fruit, a rare post-Haddock moment.
harishankar
#3 · Posted: 10 Jan 2005 12:10
Now I recall that in "The Cigars" Tintin runs away from those warders of the Mental Hospital he makes two of them slip on a banana peel and he slips up when he attempts the same with a third -- with the result that he ends up in a straight-jacket!

Those pre-Haddock books had more of the slapstick element as well!
jock123
#4 · Posted: 11 Jan 2005 12:39
I love Tintin’s inability to resist the salesmanship of Signor Oliveira da Figuera!
OJG
#5 · Posted: 11 Jan 2005 16:01
I love Tintin’s inability to resist the salesmanship of Signor Oliveira da Figuera!

Agreed. da Figuera is a wonderful character, probably (along with Alcazar) my favourite.

Regarding the 'joke on Tintin' thing, does the scene in Seven Crystal Balls count where he gets his hand crushed by Professor Tarragon? It happens to everyone I know, but it's still relatively unusual to find instances of such a thing happening to Tintin.
MoonRocket
#6 · Posted: 11 Jan 2005 17:20
I know it's a total un-Tintin like moment, but what about that scene in "The Broken Ear", when Tintin gets drunk in front of the firing squad?
harishankar
#7 · Posted: 12 Jan 2005 03:36
MoonRocket:

I know it's a total un-Tintin like moment, but what about that scene in "The Broken Ear", when Tintin gets drunk in front of the firing squad?

Yes. That's a funny moment all right. If you consider Tintin getting drunk unconsciously, what about the scene in the "Crab with the Golden Claws" in the underground cellars where Tintin inhales the fumes of the wine and starts dancing? That sequence was really funny! Ironically Haddock comes out of his stupor earlier than Tintin when Allan's gangsters grab his bottle away from him!

And Tintin keeps asking him to "Seek! Seek!"

Really a humourous sequence, that!
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 12 Jan 2005 03:53
harishankar noted: Ironically Haddock comes out of his stupor earlier than Tintin when Allan's gangsters grab his bottle away from him!

But have you noticed how quickly Tintin sobers up? After Omar Ben Salaad fires the gun and Tintin gets hit on the head by some falling ceiling debris he innocently says “who is this man?” A clear case of a blackout!
tintinmob
#9 · Posted: 12 Jan 2005 18:48
Yes possibly that knock to the head could have shook him out of his drunken state.

Jack
harishankar
#10 · Posted: 13 Jan 2005 02:33
Actually I think he shakes out of his drunkenness when the shot is fired by Ben Salaad in the air. You can see in that frame that his eyes show the surprise.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!