Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Favorite Tintin book cover?

Page  Page 2 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

thmthm
#11 · Posted: 13 Jan 2005 00:38
As far as King Ottokar's Sceptre - Im not too crazy about that cover - but I was looking at the little TINTIN NOIR SUR BLANC book (I think THE Tinin book thats finally going to make me learn french because it looks so interesting) and I wish they had left Tintin and Milou in the original pose ( in the center of the symmetrical composition) emerging throught the gates with that suspicious look on his face rather than the one we're all familiar with - where hes running with absolutely no expression on his face...
Harrock n roll
#12 · Posted: 14 Jan 2005 03:29
Running? He looks as if he striding along with purpose to me! But you're right, he looks completely blank - but then he's trying to work out who stole the sceptre so he's thinking hard...

Very difficult this as there are so many good ones but I'd have to say Red Rackham as that's the one that most made me want to know what on earth was going on!
JuvenileTintinFan
#13 · Posted: 19 Jan 2005 07:41
I think that the cover of "Shooting Star" is the worst. For those who doesn't read the book, it just looks like nonsense.

That's perfectly right...I mean, a giant mushroom sprouting out of the ground???

My favourite is definitely a tie between Tintin in Tibet and The Calculus Affair...I mean, a track of huge footprints in the snow is impossible to resist!
blisteringbarnacles
#14 · Posted: 21 Jan 2005 12:06
My favourite is The Black Island. It looks really cool!
mitsuhirato
#15 · Posted: 21 Jan 2005 21:19
One of things I love about Tintin over Asterix is the cover artwork. The covers have always been consistent in every translation and publication, whereas Dargaud allowed marketers to mutilate and discard Uderzo's original artwork (particularly the albums here in the U.S.) But I digress. My favorite covers would have to be The Blue Lotus, because of its simple yet wonderfully mysterious design. I think the cover of the b&W original was better though. Apart from that, I love The Calculus Affair, The Seven Crystal Balls and Tintin in Tibet. I also think the Moon adventures both show remarkable perspective, from different angles.
With regard to The Shooting Star, I think it's pretty unfair to list it as a bad cover just because of the giant mushroom bit. It does make it seem ludicrous, but it makes people pay attention to it for a moment or so.
jock123
#16 · Posted: 22 Jan 2005 17:50
I like Black Island too, but Red Sea Sharks is a favourite as well (first Tintin book I ever bought, just after it came out in paper-back!): each is just oozing with mystery!

Calculus Affair is just fantastic as a piece - very cinematic, like the poster for a John Le Carré, Len Deighton or Fredrick Forsythe Cold War thriller movie, so that is also a contender.

I think some of the unused ideas for Tibet and 714 are better than the covers which they ended up with.

Castafiore is weak, IMHO: just too much going on, and not that interesting for all that. America is okay, but not the best; but the weakest cover of all has to be Broken Ear! Just nothing of the Hitchcockesque element of plot and counter-plot, spys, treasure, idols, robbery, war and revolution are summed up by a rather dull picture of two people in a canoe!! I think it looks suspiciously like a hors texte page which got re-utilised...
John Sewell
#17 · Posted: 25 Jan 2005 13:18
I love the Destination Moon cover - it's got a truly epic Science Fiction feel to it, and the composition's perfect, drawing the reader from left to right, from the foreground view of the characters in the jeep, culminating in the massive rocket looming up before them!

Calculus Affair is a very effective composition too, indeed, almost too effective for me as a kid! The image of the broken glass, along with Tintin and Haddock crouching over an unconscious Calculus, actually made me wary of reading it for the first time when I was about 8 years old! it gave the impression that this was quite a violent story. As I thought that the little professor was a rather sweet and funny character, I wasn't sure I wanted to read a book in which, going from the cover evidence, he gets knocked about and possibly injured!

Not too sure about which one's my least fave, but I'm not overly keen on Picaros. There's no real sense of why they're running (perhaps a few gun-toting soldiers in the background might have sorted that out), and the Captain, in the foreground, seems (to me at least) oddly proportioned and in a rather awkward pose. Tintin's running is a little better, but his jeans are at their all-time flariest! Much wider than they appear in the book!
OJG
#18 · Posted: 25 Jan 2005 15:23
It took me quite a long time to work out what the shattered glass was on the cover of Calculus Affair. The colour was what confused me-I mean it's yellow! Even so, I can't believe I didn't work it out from the context of the story even at a fairly young age.
Mull Pascha
#19 · Posted: 4 Feb 2005 16:45
Blue Lotus, The Calculus Affair, Tintin in Tibet and Red Sea Sharks have the best covers in my humple opinon.
TinTinUSA
#20 · Posted: 5 Feb 2005 08:49
My vote goes to The Blue Lotus.

Page  Page 2 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!