Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

The One Hundred Greatest Cartoons

Page  Page 3 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

jock123
#21 · Posted: 14 Jan 2005 08:03
thmthm reminded:
Don’t forget Triplets of belleville...

It is in there, under it’s UK title of Belleville Rendezvous...

Surojimba, you have identified the problem that the whole series have. Actually you could go further, as it isn’t just pitting feature films against TV shows and cartoon shorts - it includes at least one series of adverts! The Charlie Says… series were safety advice for young children - don’t think that there were more than six, and they ran about 30 seconds each!
tybaltstone
#22 · Posted: 14 Jan 2005 08:56
Jock123: Yet something like Spirited Away gets huge plaudits from critics and pundits alike, but I found it un-involving, confusing, crudely drawn, jerkily animated (to my eyes), and wouldn’t put it in a top 100, let alone a top 10.

I'm in shock, jock123... Spririted Away was one of my favourite films of that year, I thought it was just wonderful!

Different (brush) strokes and all that...
jock123
#23 · Posted: 14 Jan 2005 11:27
tybaltstone fainted:
I'm in shock, jock123...

A glass of water for m’learned friend!

Different (brush) strokes and all that...

That’s exactly it, isn’t? You loved it, and I was un-moved, but either opinion is valid...

Is it too late to suggest that C4 try proportional representation and the transferable vote?
Tintinrulz
#24 · Posted: 14 Jan 2005 12:20
Spirited Away is great. Confusing? Yes. Crudely drawn? No way!
jock123
#25 · Posted: 14 Jan 2005 17:28
Tintinrulz
Spirited Away is great. Confusing? Yes. Crudely drawn? No way!

Each to his own - but perhaps “crudely” wasn’t the word to best express what I meant though.

I found it to be an unharmonious blend of different styles, often in the same scene - e.g. the little girl was drawn Manga style, the old lady was in some sort of lumpy pseudo-Hogarthian idiom, and they’d be in a CGI background: it just didn’t fit to me. And I do think the animation wasn’t very fluid, so it was cranky, if not exactly crude.

Anyway, our differing opinions demonstrate the problems of judging a “best of”...
surjorimba
#26 · Posted: 17 Jan 2005 02:04
Japanese anime is quite interesting actually, just like any other animation from other countries. Mainstream anime is as we usually read/ know from media. Most of them are full with monsters, supernatural world, mecha-robots, mega-scale destruction, girls with big eyes-shriking voice-school uniform, etc. For example, you can look for Akira, Sailormoon, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, etc. That's from the 80's.

Meanwhile, in the 90's we have Neon Genesis Evangelion generation. The visual is much alike, but the storyline is much more 'heavier'. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke departed from this genre.

However, on my side, I'm more interested in the contemporary anime. Most of them don't deal much with robots, monsters, fairy tales, etc. They are more like a common drama movie, with animation visually instead of real human beings. I like these genre more because their script/ storyline is just like a common drama. The directors were also able to do things that couldn't be done by using real human or very expensive using special FX/ CGI.

Among these genre are Millenium Actress, Jin-Roh, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Serial Experiment Lain, Grave of the Fireflies, Ghost in the Shell, Memories, Blue Submarine #6.

BTW, Korean animation is also very good.

suryo
Tintinrulz
#27 · Posted: 17 Jan 2005 02:37
Noir and Last Exile are great anime to check out if your interested.

Jock, to tell the truth the only CGI in Spirited Away was the clouds in one of the last scenes. Other than that it was traditional cel. Hard to believe but its true (behind the scenes on the double DVD reveals all).
tybaltstone
#28 · Posted: 17 Jan 2005 09:46
I think the trees (foliage) when the car rushes up to the tunnel is also CGI and so are parts of the flower garden outside the bath house (all those pink flowers). But it's very well done, I think, and looks quite natural and 'painted'.
Tintinrulz
#29 · Posted: 17 Jan 2005 11:20
Oh sorry, the car when it rushes up to the tunnel is also, as well as the flower garden. But nothing more than that is CGI. I've only seen the original Japanese one with English subtitles, but it is very good!
MoonRocket
#30 · Posted: 17 Jan 2005 17:15
Spirited Away was absolutely amazing -- I'd definitely rate it as one of the top animes, if not one of the top animated movies I've ever seen. When I saw it for the first time at the theatres, it was like a fantastic journey: I didn't have a clue of what would happen next, and right up to the end, it was great.

Page  Page 3 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!