Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Famous Tintin fans

Page  Page 1 of 7:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#1 · Posted: 13 Apr 2004 21:51
Nice to see the new guide put up. There are a few more personalities I can think of. Many are mentioned in Harry Thompson's "Tintin: Hergé and his Creation":

Charles de Gaulle - everyone knows this one, he said: "Tintin is my only international rival. Nodoby notices, because of my height. We are both little fellows who won't be got at by big fellows."

Andy Warhol - massively influential American 'Pop Art' artist, who admired Hergé's "political and satirical dimensions".

Roy Lichtenstein - another 'Pop Art' artist who drew two superb studies of Tintin for the book "Tintin in the New World" by Frederic Tuten.

Wim Wenders - European film director.

Francoise Sagan - French author.

Harold Macmillan - British Prime Minister, though the reference to this is very obscure - evidence, anyone?

Stephen Fry - British wit, actor and writer - who writes in his autobiography ("Moab is my Washpot") about a teacher who bore a resemblance to Professor Calculus.

Francis Maude - British Conservative politician, who answered a question on Tintin very convincingly on the BBC TV show "Have I Got News For You" a few years ago (about how Tintin used the Sun to escape in "Prisoners of the Sun")

Boris Starling - British author and novelist, who answered questions on "The life of Hergé and his Tintin books" on the BBC TV show Mastermind in 1996.

There are many more, I just have to remember them. Maybe others can add more in this topic?

I didn't know David Bowie was a Tintin fan - does anyone have the information where this came from? (hums) Is there life on Mars? Not on the moon, according to Hergé...
picaros
#2 · Posted: 14 Apr 2004 01:27
Congrats on the new site as well. I think the new logo is very hip looking and stylish too. (particularly the little tuft of hair)

I heard that Chiang kai'shek (the former president of Taiwan, I think) was also a fan after he read The Blue Lotus post-WWII. (re:Tintin and the World of Herge: an Illustrated History by Benoit Peters) I also beleive that Dustin Hoffman is one; there's a very brief scene in his movie Kramer vs Kramer (1979) where he's reading Red Rackham's Treasure to his son in bed (you can't really see the cover, but you could hear the dialogue word for word)
marsbar
#3 · Posted: 15 Apr 2004 12:09
Wow! thanks for the information, Ed and Robert.

I heard that Chiang kai'shek (the former president of Taiwan, I think) was also a fan after he read The Blue Lotus post-WWII.

You are right about Chiang, Robert. He was the leader of the Nationalist Republic of China between 1928 and 1975.

In appreciation for the Blue Lotus, Chiang invited Herge to visit China during the Second World War, but Herge did not take up the invitation until some thirty years later, in 1973 (two years before Chiang's death).
Richard
UK Correspondent
#4 · Posted: 15 Apr 2004 18:48
Roger Black, the British athlete, is a Tintin fan. His house was on 'Through the Keyhole' years ago, and there was a Leblon-Delienne statue of Tintin sitting on a shelf, and I think they showed a Tintin tie, too.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#5 · Posted: 15 Apr 2004 19:19
This isn't a famous person, but a guest on 'Bargain Hunt' had a wardrobe full of Tintin jumpers . . .
edcharlesadams
#6 · Posted: 15 Apr 2004 20:48
Terry Gilliam wore a huge Tintin jumper at the Monty Python reunion at Aspen in March 1998. There must be some photos of it somewhere on the Web.
edcharlesadams
#7 · Posted: 22 May 2004 20:43
I've remembered the English novelist Iris Murdoch, who was such a fan that she queued up to meet Hergé when he visited Hamley's toy shop in London in the sixties.
edcharlesadams
#8 · Posted: 14 Jun 2004 14:36
For those of you interested in such things, Stephen Fry's reference to Professor Calculus is on page 275 of his autobiography, "Moab is my Washpot". He tells a very funny story of a trick he played on his school's organist, Mr Holman - who bore a resemblance to the Professor.
advnarayan
#9 · Posted: 16 Jun 2004 04:06
hey,
dont forget Steven Spielberg, and also former Indian Prime Ministers Rajeev Gandhi and Atal Behari Vajpayee- all were Tintin fans
Harrock n roll
#10 · Posted: 17 Jun 2004 00:59
I know Jonathon Ross (British TV celebrity) is a fan. He attended the Tintin: 60 years of adventure exhibition back in '89 and is still a regular visitor to the Tintin shop. I also remember Queen's guitarist Brian May came by the 60 years exhibition but he just walked right through it without really looking at anything - so whether he's a fan or not - hard to say!

Page  Page 1 of 7:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!