Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: His real name, or a nickname?

Page  Page 3 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

baxter
#21 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 00:05
I saw somewhere on this web-site that "tintin" is a nick-name for Martin. That makes sense: I always felt that Tintin was a nickname, and a Belgian catholic born in the early 20th century would have been given a saint's name at baptism.

So if our hero is Martin (name-day November 11th), does anyone know what his surname, and actual birthday are?

Of course, the adventures of Martin and Archibald sounds rather dull. :)
Tintinrulz
#22 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 06:44
baxter:
I saw somewhere on this web-site that "tintin" is a nick-name for Martin

Martin? Hilarious. Herge created Tintin on the 4th of Janruary 1929 but he began his first adventure on the 10th of Janruary 1929.
jock123
#23 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 08:21
Tintinrulz
Herge created Tintin on the 4th of Janruary 1929

Strictly speaking, Hergé created Tintin at some unspecified time in the last months of 1928; he first appeared in print in the advert for the start of Soviets, which as you say appeared on 04/01/29.

As to having a “real” name, the only person who could possibly have known was Hergé, and if he did, he didn’t tell...
Ranko
#24 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 08:41
It always used to puzzle me when I read 'Cigars' and upon capturing Tintin, Sheik Patrash Pasha says, "What is your name?"
To which Tintin replies, "My name...it won't mean anything to you, but at home they call me Tintin"
I always read into this that he was indeed known (in at least some places) by another name, or that Tintin was a nickname.
But he's obvioulsy implying that the Sheik has never heard of him...(until we find out otherwise in the next frame!! :-)
jock123
#25 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 12:11
Ranko
Tintin replies, "My name...it won't mean anything to you, but at home they call me Tintin"

I just took a quick look, and there is already quite a lengthy discussion of this subject, including the meaning of this quote, which may contain the answers you are looking for.
Ranko
#26 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 13:20
Thanks Jock, I'll take a look at it...
2Orangy4Crows
#27 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 18:03
Could it be that Tintin is the pen-name he uses when writing his stories just as Hergé is Georges Remi's pen name?
baxter
#28 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 21:21
Ranko:
at home they call me Tintin

Thanks for the link, Ranko. I'm new to this forum and had overlooked it.

Of course if his name is Martin, then Martine makes a cute choice for his wife. Martin and Martine Vandezande. Sounds good.

Trust me with these deductions. I got them from two certified detectives...
Shikamaru11
#29 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 21:59
Regarding the quote on the first page...It doesn't sound like he means that his real name won't mean anything....It sounds more like he's saying, "I know my name probably won't mean anything to you, but it's Tintin"
Ranko
#30 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 22:33
Dumbs the word. That's our motto... :-)
(thanks to Jock BTW)

Page  Page 3 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!