Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Hergé: Original "Ottokar" and "Flup, Nenesse, Poussette et Cochonnet" art to be auctioned!

jock123
#1 · Posted: 10 Feb 2005 13:13
A page of the B&W King Ottokar's Sceptre (the one where Tintin looks in the window of the toyshop) is up for sale at the end of the month.
While this is obviously a gem for anyone's collection, I am fascinated to see that two pages of the lesser known - and never in English - Hergé adventure Flup, Nenesse, Poussette et Cochonnet, which pre-date even Tintin, are also in the sale - a real curiosity!
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 10 Feb 2005 15:14
I find the post which follows the news item interesting.
It mentions it's possible that, when Hergé left Brussels in May 1940, he took a large part of the original boards from King Ottokar with him to a retreat in France, and then left them there.
They later reappeared in 1979 and were sold off at auction.

It's bound to fetch a whacking high price in view of the fact there aren't many original Hergé boards about.

While this is obviously a gem for anyone's collection...

Let's see, if I sold the house....
jock123
#3 · Posted: 10 Feb 2005 15:42
Harrock n roll
Let's see, if I sold the house...

...I'd be happy to keep it at my place for you!

Yes, the following paragraph is very interesting; it names the artist who Hergé went to stay with - Marijac (Jacques Dumas) - , but does not explain why he, or his heirs didn't feel that they should have sent them back to Hergé, or why Hergé didn't try and reclaim them himself - is there no honour between artists?

I mean, Marijac won an award at Angoulème in 1979, it wasn't that he was an unknown artist himself, and he didn't die until 1994, so it wasn't like his family found them in his effects and sold them to the dealer.

The one major confusion in the story is that from another source Marijac was apparently in the French army from 1939 onwards, so perhaps Hergé was merely a guest at his house, rather than in his company, and the art got mislaid without Marijac ever knowing.
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 10 Feb 2005 16:38
jock123 ....I'd be happy to keep it at my place for you!

Well, I was thinking we may need to sell your house too...

The H. Thompson biography mentions that Marijac lent Hergé his farmhouse in the Auvergne (which would imply he wasn't there at the time) but as to how the Ottokar boards ended up with collectors?
I suppose it's possible they were mislaid somewhere else entirely as it does seem inconceivable that Marijac would have sold them.

I also wondered why Hergé (or his heirs) didn't claim them back. Again, a lack of evidence makes speculation a little pointless, but - if it is true that they were mislaid - then it could be legally argued that they belong to the estate?

Perhaps I'd better not sell the house just yet...
jock123
#5 · Posted: 10 Feb 2005 16:53
Harrock n roll
Perhaps I'd better not sell the house just yet...

...me neither, as the landlord might not like it!

Wish I'd got in on the ground floor in 1979, when the dealer was selling them for "ridiculous prices" to "lucky (!!!!!) amateurs"!
thmthm
#6 · Posted: 21 Feb 2005 03:13
Dose anyone know why the this got pulled from ebay last week?
Did the Fondation Hergé jump on top of it?
Anybody know?
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 21:05
anyone know why the this got pulled from ebay last week? Did the Herge foundation jump on top of it? anybody know?

I wasn't aware that there was one on ebay. The auction memtioned here was at the Galerie Moderne in Belgium.

The final sale price of the auction, which finished on Sunday, broke the record for a Hergé original at 99,200 euros.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#8 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 22:31
Merciful Heavens. It would be great having such desirability for your work (without being dead, of course) - do a few sketches and then go and buy a few cars because you think they'd look nice on your heated marble driveway of the house you bought in Surrey after seeing it on the news, financed with your latest scribbles.

I think the one that was on eBay was an auction catalogue with the Hergé piece on the front. However, it was ambiguously listed, so it appeared that it was the actual drawing was for sale.

Edit : ObjectifTintin, who reported the original €99,200 has updated their article, saying that with other charges included, the final sale price was €102,000.
schnelle
#9 · Posted: 2 Mar 2005 13:57
The Belgian newspaper, Le Soir, picked up the story: http://www.lesoir.be/rubriques/cultur/page_5177_306403.shtml

All the Tintin lots can be seen in the archives for 27 Feb at http://www.galeriemoderne.be

I suppose some did not make the reserve so they still list the "estimation" price instead of the final "adjudication" price?

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!