Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Land of Black Gold: Methuen edition cover mistake?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Macchu
#1 · Posted: 11 Feb 2005 23:43
I have the Methuen paperback copy of this book. It has the usual cover "The Adventures of" but stops there, no "TinTin". Has anyone come across this before? Is this a collectible?
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 12 Feb 2005 16:11
Not heard of that Macchu. So what your saying is that where it normally would read TINTIN (at the top just below the arch) there is blue sky?

I doubt it would be collectable, at least not yet. To date nobody has produced a price guide for the English editions (aside from 2 which appeared in “Book and Magazine Collector”) or noted any anomolies for the Methuen editions.

I'd be interested to know the printing year and see a scan of it if that's possible.
Ranko
#3 · Posted: 12 Feb 2005 16:54
I've just had a look at my 1972 Methuen hardback and it definitely says "The Adventures of Tintin" It may be rare?

It would be nice to see a picture.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 12 Feb 2005 17:32
Sadly book misprints are rarely valuable, unless they make some major variation to the text – the edition of the Bible printed in 1632 which missed the "not" out of the seventh commandment would fall into that category, but it is also a) more than 350 years old and b) most, if not all, of the few copies printed were recalled, so age and scarcity play a part.

You might find someone out there who collects erronious printings, but I doubt it would be valuable, as I can't imagine the demand would be high.
Macchu
#5 · Posted: 13 Feb 2005 11:28
Yes, just blue sky where it normally says TINTIN. This is a 1972 softcover edition.

How do I post a scan of the cover for you to see? Perhaps I should ask Methuen, any suggestions as to who I should address a query?
Harrock n roll
#6 · Posted: 13 Feb 2005 23:42
How do I post a scan of the cover for you to see?

If you are able to upload it somewhere you could post a link to it. Otherwise you can email it to me at : chris [at] tintinologist [dot] org.

Perhaps I should ask Methuen, any suggestions as to who I should address a query?

Methuen no longer publish Tintin but you could still write to them or use the contact form at their website http://www.methuen.co.uk
Macchu
#7 · Posted: 14 Feb 2005 22:31
Sorry chaps, on second look it appears to be a 1975 softback print, not 1972.
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 15 Feb 2005 02:18
Macchu has sent me the image. To see it, click here. [Broken link removed 15/05/2023 - Moderator]
Rocky
#9 · Posted: 15 Feb 2005 12:40
My Methuen paperback copy is exactly the same as Macchu's! I thought they were all like this.
Bizarrely, on its back cover, where all the books are shown, the thumbnail cover says 'Tintin Land of Black Gold' but misses off 'The Adventures of' from the arch!

Although this mistake is not on the Egmont editions, the colour of the lettering of 'The Adventures of' differs between the front cover and the back cover thumbnail on the Egmont copy I looked at. Check yours and see what I mean.
Harrock n roll
#10 · Posted: 15 Feb 2005 12:44
I just spotted one on ebay which is also a 1975 paperback with the "Tintin" missing. Obviously some bright spark in the design department decided to take out the Tintin that year without realising it said "The Adventures of" just above. I expect the editor had a fit when he noticed - you just can't rely on these designers...

Chris (a designer)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!