Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Goodbye Tintin

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

tybaltstone
#1 · Posted: 12 Feb 2005 11:35
I have got rid of all my Tintin books...

... and put them into a box, as I'm moving out of my house and practically everything's going into storage! I could be without them for a few months depending on how our house situation works out, and it's actually been a slightly distressing experience, I must say.

My lovely hardback facsimilie editions, my original softback collection, my various textbooks and other editions... I'd hate to add up the cost of replacing them (if it's possible).

But I also have to admit I quite like the idea of being without them for a while, as I can look forward to unpacking them one day and I'm sure I will appreciate them even more.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#2 · Posted: 12 Feb 2005 11:41
I can sympathise Garen - we're renovating our house at the moment so most of my Tintin books went into storage a couple of weeks ago and probably won't see the light of day until August/September.

So until then, apart from a few books I managed to liberate, any Tintinology from me will have to be from memory!

Ed
tybaltstone
#3 · Posted: 12 Feb 2005 16:09
Crikey, Ed, that sounds far more severe than my own situation. Perhaps we should start a support group?

Good luck with the renovation (including some nice shelves for your Tintin collection, I hope).

Best -
G.
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 13 Feb 2005 00:22
Sounds drastic guys! Maybe you should start up a Tintinologists Anonoymus Group for people suffering Tintin withdrawls? Maybe a Rehabilitation Centre? Ha ha!
Good luck with moving! Good luck with your renovations!
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#5 · Posted: 13 Feb 2005 15:45
I'm glad I'm staying put - I don't think I could bear several months away from Tintinology ! Good luck to both of you with your moving/renovations !
snafu
#6 · Posted: 21 Feb 2005 04:41
What is important is not actually having the Tintin books but actually maintaining the influence Tintin has had on you (ie: the joy of posting on Tintin forums). Not everything rests on material stuff...

It is still sad that you have to part with all these books, but don't let physical losses scar you.

I lost the 3-in-1 volume of "The Land of Black Gold", "Destination Moon", and "Explorers on the Moon". It was a horrible experience because I had no duplicates at home, but I preserved the memories and joys from it, and I've let that event pass...

Even now I have no Tintin books with me from where I'm posting, so I'm writing completely out of memory.

Things come and go. Friends come and go. I'll probably never see some again (some live abroad). Some are lost; for example, I felt forced to terminate a seven-year friendship from which I greatly benefited. Yet these people still persist in my heart, so all is not lost.

What is in your heart and in your memory is by far more important than what material things you have.
edcharlesadams
#7 · Posted: 21 Feb 2005 15:41
don't let physical losses scar you

Don't worry, I won't be visiting the psychiatrist just yet... ;-)

Ed
tybaltstone
#8 · Posted: 11 May 2005 19:18
Ah! reunited with my books. Scars healed. Hang in there Ed! :-)
edcharlesadams
#9 · Posted: 11 May 2005 22:04
Thanks Garen. Only a few months to go now...

Memory's a fragile thing; it's failed me a few times but seems to be holding up OK for my (limited) purposes!

Ed
edcharlesadams
#10 · Posted: 27 Nov 2005 21:31
A momentous day for me as I am reunited with Tintin: the boxes containing my collection were the first to be knifed open!

Ed

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!