Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Who likes National Geographic?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

snafu
#1 · Posted: 22 Feb 2005 05:14
I like "National Geographic" because they keep printing out stories about far-off locales, which is also one of the reasons why I like Tintin. Do any other members of the forum like "National Geographic" for the same reasons?
gnolles
#2 · Posted: 22 Feb 2005 12:57
I stopped my 25 years old enthusiast subscription to National Geographic one and a half year ago when they fired their reporter Peter Arnett in Irak...soon after the beginning of W's war...
Sorry snafu!
snafu
#3 · Posted: 22 Feb 2005 14:42
Thanks Gnolles! But if it weren't for the Iraq war, would my observationis been quite accurate for you?

Any other opinions from the other members?
MoonRocket
#4 · Posted: 22 Feb 2005 14:54
I love National Geographic -- it's so fun to see things much more amazing than boring old Michigan. Being someone who has only been in Canada and the U.S., I like seeing faraway places that someday I might get the chance to visit (yeah, right).

The one thing I do not like about NG is that recently, they have been doing all these articles on the Iraqi war and terrorism, etc -- things you can read in Time Magazine.

But other than that it's exciting to get the NG every month.
snafu
#5 · Posted: 22 Feb 2005 22:53
Nobody has to BUY "National Geographic". One could BORROW it off the library or something. You don't pay the money yet still get the benefits of seeing faraway places.
MoonRocket
#6 · Posted: 22 Feb 2005 23:09
We just got one this afternoon. The article on Inca mummies looks interesting. Funny how much they look like Rascar Capac!
thmthm
#7 · Posted: 23 Feb 2005 04:46
One of my favorite (if not most favorite) magazines is NATIONAL GEO ADVENTURER -

Actually - I opened a thread not to whiile ago about Robert Y. Pelton - who is the closest real life figure to tintin I can think of living today- he is a regular contributer for this magazine and author to the World's most Dangerous Places (yes , he's been EVERYWHERE)...this guy has more lives than a litter of kittens...

I also recommend COLORS: THE MAGAZINE ABOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD - which is the most interesting magazine out there IMHO

--
[Moderator note: there is a thread on Robert Y. Pelton.]
Jyrki21
#8 · Posted: 23 Feb 2005 07:26
One of my favorite (if not most favorite) magazines is NATIONAL GEO ADVENTURER

Not sure if it's the same publication, but when I lived in Switzerland I picked up a copy of GEO magazine's Tintin-devoted issue... anyone else have this?
Tintinrulz
#9 · Posted: 23 Feb 2005 07:43
I have looked at many National Geographic magazines from my library and relative's place (they have a copy from 1929!). I myself subscribe to Australian Geographic which is the same sort of magazine, but contained within Australia. National Geographic magazine is very good for reference materials for drawing and in general, but I don't have the money for them.
thmthm
#10 · Posted: 23 Feb 2005 08:55
As far as the Geo issue - its not the same as N.G. Adventurer - but thats one of my favorite tintin dedicated magazine issues and it was later released in hardcover format which can still be found on tintin.com I believe.

--
[A portion of this post has been moved to the thread on Robert Y. Pelton: modern day Tintin]

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!