Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: Casting discussion

Page  Page 2 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15  16  Next » 

pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#11 · Posted: 13 Apr 2004 01:09
As for Castafiore, I know someone who is very much like her...not an actress, though, just making the point that such people do exist. :D

Paul
tybaltstone
#12 · Posted: 14 Apr 2004 16:59
The only two opera singers I know (not personally, you understand) are Maria Callas and Montserrat Cabellé . I think Montsearrat is very like Castafiore.
skut
#13 · Posted: 18 Apr 2004 02:22
Robin Williams as Haddock? That would be AWFUL.

The first casting rumor I heard was that Leonardo di Caprio would play Tintin. All things considered, he'd look pretty good. If Jude Law was about 15 years younger, he'd be perfect as Tintin. Tom Hanks as Captain Haddock? Let's call that "Plan B". My own vote would go to Stephen Fry (the person who suggested Brian Blessed was close!) If any of the movies featured Rastapopoulos, there would only be one choice: Robert De Niro!
Tintinrulz
#14 · Posted: 18 Apr 2004 02:34
Yeah, Robin Williams wouldn't be good as Captain Haddock. Tom Hanks should be good as him, although I never thought of him previously in the role.
I also heard the rumor about Leonardo di Caprio was going to be cast as Tintin (about 2000), but he isn't (thank goodness)!
Robert De Niro as Rastapopoulos, I can see that, some people have said Danny Devito could also play the part (but he's too short).
I first heard the rumor of a Tintin movie in early 2000, I wonder why it has taken them so long to decide, I can't wait until 2006!
kirthiboy
#15 · Posted: 18 Apr 2004 08:06
Dunno why Robin Williams would be bad for the role of Haddock. He played Popeye really well. But yes I agree for Robert De Niro being Rastapopoulos. It would be too funny. Just remember in Flight 174, when he tries to squish the spider. :P
Any more ideas guys? How about Professor Calculus? And Jolyon Wagg?
skut
#16 · Posted: 18 Apr 2004 18:34
Robin Williams is too over the top to play Haddock. His rapid-fire style is all wrong for the character. He played Popeye OK because Popeye was an "exaggerated" comic strip/movie, whereas Tintin is more realistic. Sure, people get hit over the head and see stars, but I think a Tintin movie would have to "play it straight" and not be too silly or try to replicate the world of the comic strip too much.

The more I think about it, Stephen Fry would be perfect as Haddock.

Bob Hoskins would also be a good choice for Rastapopoulos.

How about Bob Balaban as Prof. Calculus? (He played the head of NBC in some Seinfeld episodes, and was in Best Of Show and Waiting For Guffman) He could pull off the "scatter-brained" professor role really well.
kirthiboy
#17 · Posted: 18 Apr 2004 18:46
Ok rule out Robin Williams! :) Who is Stephen Fry?
skut
#18 · Posted: 18 Apr 2004 20:03
Stephen Fry is a British actor and author who appeared in "Black Adder" and also with Hugh Laurie in their own TV comedy show. He's right physically for the role, and can summon up the necessary volume and bluster for Captain Haddock. He is also a fan of Tintin, which would be a bonus. You can do a Google search to visit his website or see some photos.
picaros
#19 · Posted: 18 Apr 2004 20:18
Seing how everyone chose their ideal actors for Haddock and Calculus, who would you pick to play the Thompsons? This are probably the hardest two to cast, but I would probably choose David Suchet (Inspector Hercule Poirot from "Poirot"), if he actually wanted to play the 'bumbling detective' role, but that's just me.
tybaltstone
#20 · Posted: 18 Apr 2004 20:30
I have to say I can't see Stephen Fry as Haddock at all. Haddock needs to be someone who we can believe loses his cool very easily, and I don't believe Fry is like that - he's more likely to look bemused in the face of panic, and come up with a quip rather than a string of invective.

I wonder if a complete cast of unknowns without any pre-judgment from an audience might be better?

Page  Page 2 of 16:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15  16  Next » 

This topic is closed.