Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

English publishers who aren't Methuen

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Harrock n roll
#21 · Posted: 23 Jun 2004 23:41
They certainly were translated from the French editions although some people and place names were later changed at editing stage. I've been researching for an in-depth article for a few months now and I hope to bring it to you all soon. Casterman have allowed me access to their archives and I've been in touch with some of the people concerned so it's shaping up to be the most definitive article to date. I don't want to give anything away yet but all will be revealed in the near future ... :)
snafu
#22 · Posted: 27 Feb 2005 21:32
I have many versions of Tintin from Joy Street and Little, Brown. Some books that I have show the names of both publishers. Does anybody know if the two publishers merged?
OJG
#23 · Posted: 27 Feb 2005 21:49
My main books (America to Picaros) were all bought in the 90s. I have 2 hardbacks (Calculus Affair and 714), which are published by Methuen. The rest are all paperbacks published by Mammoth. Egmont has taken over publishing now, but this was after I completed my collection. Wherever I see Tintin books in shops now, I only see paperbacks by Egmont, but I see hardbacks by both Egmont and Methuen still.

Interestingly, my copy of The Black Island is a Mammoth copy, but on the back where it shows all of the other main books, they have Little Brown written on them.
snafu
#24 · Posted: 27 Feb 2005 22:04
Interesting OJG. Is Little, Brown affiliated with several companies, or is actually two companies in one?
OJG
#25 · Posted: 27 Feb 2005 22:25
I really have no idea, Snafu. I should correct myself on a couple of details though. The publishers shown on the back are shown as Atlantic-Little Brown. They're an American company. There is one exception on this though- the very top left book (The Making of Tintin in the World of the Inca) is shown as a Methuen publication. The others are all Atlantic-Little Brown.
szplug
#26 · Posted: 24 Mar 2005 17:13
Egmont has taken over publishing now, but this was after I completed my collection. Wherever I see Tintin books in shops now, I only see paperbacks by Egmont, but I see hardbacks by both Egmont and Methuen still.

Interestingly, my copy of The Black Island is a Mammoth copy, but on the back where it shows all of the other main books, they have Little Brown written on them.

+++++++++++++++++++
I have a 2001 Paperback edition of The Calculus affair published by Mammoth , while I have seen the 2002 edition of the same book by Egmont.

Now my observations - The Text copyright of the 2001 edition is credited to Egmont but in the 2002 Egmont book the text copyright is with Methuen Children's books !!

Also in the 2001 edition , it is mentioned that Mammoth paperbacks is a part of Egmont books.

My conclusion :- As everyone else has said , Mammoth (and maybe it's precursor , Magnet) is/was the childrens book arm of Methuen .Mammoth (or only the Tintin catalogue of Mammoth) must have been bought from Methuen by Egmont, but Egmont continued to use the Mammoth name for at least the 2001 edition , then they switched over to using Egmont name for the 2002 edition.

Other points :- The Mammoth edition was printed by Casterman in Belgium while the Egmont edition is printed in Spain (just like recent Little Brown editions)

The back page pics of books in the Mammoth edition carry the Mammoth name while that of the Egmont do not carry any name.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!