Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

The One Hundred Greatest Cartoons

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Harrock n roll
#41 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 10:03
rasatpopoulos is absolutely right.

I wasn't really expecting that much from a programme like this... but what I saw was negative, irreverent and in places downright nasty – it was a bit like reading The Sun. The underlying theme of the Tintin sequence was to portray Hergé as a fascist with absolutely no proof to back it up. That set the tone for the entire programme as nobody had anything nice to say for most of the 100 cartoons.

Watching a bunch of grade-D celebs make flippant remarks about some of my favourite childhood memories was a very unpleasant experience! It was such torture (4 hours!) that I gave up at around no.40.
tybaltstone
#42 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 10:57
I watched the whole thing... not sure why!

Where do all these 'comedians' come from? They're not really giving their opinions anyway, they're there to do a bit of (bad, clichéd) stand up. It would have been much better if they had more interviews with people who knew their stuff about animation and storytelling.

By the way, I didn't mind the comments about the campness of various cartoons - many of them are. Even Tintin could be gay, it would make no difference to me as far as the stories are concerned - but his sexuality is not a factor in the books, he's pretty much androgynous.

Shame about the Tintin slot though - but then the cartoon does not come close to the subtlety and excitement of the books (not that their comments were much about the cartoon either!)
george
#43 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 11:33
I'm not sure what anyone expected of this programme. C4 gave up trying years ago (with honourable exeptions) and this sort of four hour grade-Z celebrity fest is what they do best. Was Jamie Oliver one of the experts? I wouldn't be surprised if they did that sort of cross-promotion.

It's an exercise in selling advertising anyway - the list gets released weeks in advance so the newspapers can fill up page after page with ill-informed profiles and articles on how the 20something author really liked Batman, "but-wasn't-it-funny-how-he-lived-with-that-young-boy-he-must-be-gay-ha-ha-ha!". And of course, plugs for the show itself.

And Jimmy Carr's got to have something to do now he's told that joke about Lenny Henry a thousand times.

George
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#44 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 20:39
I think it was nice to see Harry Thompson defend Tintin on TV though. That was the only redeeming feature of the programme in my opinion.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#45 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 21:03
Well, I feel I learnt a lot from watching the Tintin segment. They gave an excellent insight into the background of the animated version of Tintin, the transition from book to screen, the problems faced with adaptation and the suitability of topics for a modern audience.

Oh no, wait, they just wondered whether Tintin was a Nazi.

Obviously, the voting was completely nonsensical, but what can you expect from one of these Channel 4 "Top 100 ..." shows ? There was a time that it used to be a respectable channel, but it seems to have really gone downhill since it subscribed to the reality TV craze.

Also, did anyone else notice this - the quality of the footage used in the Cartoon show was appallingly bad ? I can't judge for everything, but "Futurama" for one looked terrible, all grainy.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#46 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 21:43
The Watership Down description was dreadful - "Some rabbits get attacked by a nasty one called Woundwort" - nonsense ! They should know the plot before they try to be experts !
Harrock n roll
#47 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 21:49
tintinuk I think it was nice to see Harry Thompson defend Tintin on TV though. That was the only redeeming feature of the programme in my opinion.

Yes, at least they got one person that knew about the subject but it's a shame that he had to be there to defend Tintin.

It was 4 hours long! - 10 minutes of a decent documentary on any one of the better cartoons would have been miles better. But from C4's point of view these programmes are very cheap to make and fill a large slot of time.

I think it's also a bit suspicious.... it was obvious the Simpsons were going to win it. And which (terrestrial) TV station shows it? C4 of course, so it was also one nice big advert for them! Rememer the old police maxim: who profits the crime...;)

P.S. At least there's BBC4. I don't know if anybody saw their documentary on The Magic Roundabout - it was excellent!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#48 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 22:16
I think it's also a bit suspicious.... it was obvious the Simpsons were going to win it. And which (terrestrial) TV station shows it? C4 of course, so it was also one nice big advert for them!

And South Park did very well too, coming in third. And a double-bill of which programme was shown after the 100 Cartoons on C4 ? I know it's not an academic / reliable poll at all, but I would have liked to see some of my favourites a little higher up (Futurama at 26 ? Wallace & Gromit not even in the top 10 ?). Oh well, c'est la vie.

Afraid I didn't see the Magic Roundabout documentary, but I wouldn't have minded watching it - I'll keep an eye out in case it's repeated at all, maybe even making the jump to mainstream BBC2.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#49 · Posted: 1 Mar 2005 17:22
The Magic Roundabout documentary was great - gave a really comprehensive history of the making of the cartoon !
snafu
#50 · Posted: 3 Mar 2005 04:39
Spirited Away was absolutely amazing -- I'd definitely rate it as one of the top animes, if not one of the top animated movies I've ever seen. When I saw it for the first time at the theatres, it was like a fantastic journey: I didn't have a clue of what would happen next, and right up to the end, it was great.

MoonRocket, if you liked "Spirited Away", you might also like "Kiki's Delivery Service", "Castle in the Sky" (please correct my title), and "My Neighbor Totoro", all of which were made by Hayao Miyazake. I don't remember much of "Castle in the Sky", but I think that the robots were too much for me when I was only 4 or 5. I have little to say about "Kiki's Delivery Service". "My Neighbor Totoro" is my favorite, simply because I do like animals. A word of caution: besides "Spirited Away", all of the other cartoons I saw were dubbed into Cantonese.

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!