Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Hergé: Rare English-language books

Page  Page 2 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

OJG
#11 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 21:32
What are the Golden Press editions? MoonRocket, you said the dialogue was weird?
Richard
UK Correspondent
#12 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 21:35
They were the first American translations of the books, done in the 1950s. Chris Owens wrote a superb article on them, which can be found here.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#13 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 21:37
The article's definitely worth reading for information about the editions, and the translators, plus examples of the dialogue.
MoonRocket
#14 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 21:39
Apparently the Golden Press editions were the ones first published in the U.S. (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) but they weren't all that popular, so they stopped publishing them. They used different translators, so the Captain says some insults that are different than what we are used to... When he's floating off the Rocket, Haddock sings: "On the road to Mandala-ay... Where the flying fishes play..." His curses include "Thunderation!" and "Ten thousand howling hurricanes!" My copy was apparently thrown out by a library... The hard cover (a really ugly orange with a black-and-white scene of the rocket, Tintin, and Haddock) is tattered, but the pages -- they are actually paper, unlike the books published now -- are in good shape.
jockosjungle
#15 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 21:40
OK I have updated the first post with a more complete list, I missed some obvious ones there, but I was in a hurry before.

When we've got a complete list, I'll write an article for the site giving as much information as I can dig. I wrote a short article on the best way to find rare Herge books for my site a while ago so I'll add it to that.

Seems to be some confusion as to what counts as rare as well, i'd go with the definition of anything not currently in print, but then again you could say that anything that is outside of the mainstream tintin albums is rare as they're not readily available.

Keep your suggestions coming,

Rik
OJG
#16 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 21:41
Thanks for that everyone. Another to add to the rare list is the
3-in-1 (I've only seen this one, don't know if there are others) produced by WHSmith. It features Flight 714, The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure. It is part of the collection on this Ebay item.
jockosjungle
#17 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 21:48
Never seen that WH Smith edition before, anyone know if they did a full set of them or just that one? They've put them out of order if they are.

I added my Tintin: Pictures in Motion book that i picked up from the Tintin Shop, no idea if it's rare or not but i've never seen them anywhere else.

Rik
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#18 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 21:56
WH Smith only produced that one volume, consisting of 'Flight 714', 'Secret Of The Unicorn' and 'Red Rackham's Treasure'.
OJG
#19 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 21:56
I think I've heard of Pictures in Motion, but never seen it anywhere. I check Ebay every now and then, which has some really rare stuff on it, and have never come across it there either. I'd guess that that is something of a gem in your collection Rik!
jockosjungle
#20 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 22:02
I'm really not sure OJG, they were selling a massive stack of them at the Tintin Shop for £2.50 half price about 6 months ago. It's a sort of baby book, has a single word such as motorcycle or car every so often. But has some really nice fold out artwork in it.

Cheers for the info Tintinuk on that whsmith release, edited the original post

Rik

Page  Page 2 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!