Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Favourite illustrators (besides Hergé)?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

OJG
#11 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 12:15
I really like Raymond Briggs' drawings. I have seen some other, probably 'better' ones, but I can't remember the artists. I have a book called The Mousehole Cat by Antonia Barber, and illustrated by Nicola Bayley. That had truly wonderful drawings.
MoonRocket
#12 · Posted: 1 Mar 2005 00:22
Calvin and Hobbes is a very well-drawn strip.
As far as other favorite illustrators go, there are too many for me to mention, and I probably know their art/comics better than I know their names... Time to do a little research...
OJG
#13 · Posted: 1 Mar 2005 12:55
Of course Hergé is number one for me- at least the Tintin drawings, simply because they are Tintin! There's no doubt I'm biased though.
tybaltstone
#14 · Posted: 3 Mar 2005 10:29
There are so many wonderful illustrators out there, most so different from Hergé that they can't really be compared. For myself, I need a menu of art that provides for many different needs, sometimes I need to see a Goya, sometimes a Rackham, and sometimes a bit of Derf or Cassandre.

And don't forget this topic started out as 'Apart from Hergé... who are your favourite book illustrators ?'
Harrock n roll
#15 · Posted: 3 Mar 2005 16:21
Well mine's Hergé... just kidding ;)

How are we defining illustrators here?

People are mentioning comic-strips but in my language* I think of them as "artists that draw one-off pictures in story books to break up the text", e.g. John Tennial who did the original illustrations to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

* Harrockian
Richard
UK Correspondent
#16 · Posted: 3 Mar 2005 18:19
I was using the "Harrockian definition" when I started the topic, even though I included a couple of comic-strip artists (Uderzo and Franquin).

I think it's better to stick to the illustrations that break up the text, rather than as a full comic-strip, although illustrators like Raymond Briggs for example, transcend these boundaries, and dabble in both.
jock123
#17 · Posted: 4 Mar 2005 22:26
Richard
I was using the "Harrockian definition" when I started the topic

Interesting - I wouldn't have guessed it that way.

While I agree with the intent of the Harrockian distinction*, I can't imagine that even people here are familiar enough with Hergé's book illustrations to have the initial question restricted to the non-comic strip fraternity.

I know he did them (I even have a copy of the biography of the Belgian King he did illustrations in the style of wood-blocks prints for), but I wouldn't consider him an illustrator like Tennial. I would see him as a comic-strip illustrator though.

I would pitch in our very own tybaltstone and Les McClaine as favourites.

* The Harrockian Distinction would make a good thriller title...
Karaboudjan
#18 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 18:14
I love Calvin and Hobbes, but in a different way from Tintin. They're nowhere near as skilfully drawn, for starters.

Other illustrators I like: whoever it is who does the Far Side Gallery (I forget the name), Brett Helquist (he illustrates A Series of Unfortunate Events, as well as weird things in the New York Times), Edward Lear (the famous 'nonsense' poet), Tove Jansson (she was the author and illustrator of the Moomin books)...

As a wannabe author, I'm in considerable awe of anyone who can write and illustrate.
It goes without saying I can't draw to save my life...

Ultimately, my favourite is Hergé. Even though my girlfriend says he can't draw.
MoonRocket
#19 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 22:25
Other illustrators I like: whoever it is who does the Far Side Gallery (I forget the name)

Gary Larson did the Far Side comic panels -- is that the same thing as the Far Side Gallery? If so, those are simply hilarious.
Tintinrulz
#20 · Posted: 7 Mar 2005 12:24
I can't see Gary Larson letting anyone else do The Far Side. So I presume he also did The Far Side Gallery. What a funny cartoonist!

Moderator Note: The Far Side Gallery is the name given to the collected volumes of The Far Side cartoons; they are effectively the same thing.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!