Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin books: animal and child abuse?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

jockosjungle
#11 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 10:06
Yes but he killed the chimp first, he didn't rip off its skin while it was still alive which he could have done, I'd say Tintin was kind to the chimp in that respect.

There is killing animals and being cruel to animals, if I was to shoot a cow (like they do to thousands every day) you wouldn't say I was paticurlarly cruel to the cow. However if I locked it up and beat it every day then that would be cruel.

Even blowing up a Rhino would be a quite quick death!

Tintin: The Killer of More Animals than was strictly necessary but i wouldn't say he was cruel

Rik
rastapopoulos
#12 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 11:00
I think your gettin the definition of cruel mixed up with plain evil. Fishing is deemed cruel by some, and thats just a hook in a fish's mouth. I suppose Tintin had a purpose foor the Chimps skin, but why blow up a rhino, I cant see any sport there... Was this a done thing at the time? to drill a hole in a rhino skin then plant TNT in there? If you think thats not cruel then what do you think is???
OJG
#13 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 12:58
Remember that the blowing up of the rhino was in the early version of Congo, and was removed in the revised one.
rastapopoulos
#14 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 14:06
Remember that the blowing up of the rhino was in the early version of Congo

What difference does that make? In the Tintin universe he DID acually do it.
thinking about it was it removed form the revised one? I know it was changed for the Swedish version as it was too violent. I havent got my french revised edition in front of me so cannot look it up.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#15 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 14:09
This scene was only revised for the Scandinavian market; the modern French edition still includes the original version.

Ed
jockosjungle
#16 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 14:26
It's still in my French edition that I got recently so I guess it's still there.

To be fair to him he was on a hunting trip and part of hunting is killing animals. His gun wasn't powerful enough so he resorted to another method, he did try to shoot it humanely.

I don't endorse the blowing up of animals but then again I don't endorse the stealing of aircraft or shutting people in boxes and mailing them but Tintin still did them. In the 1930's big game hunting was an adventure that Tintin took part in and you can't really judge a previous time period by modern terms

Rik

Rik
rastapopoulos
#17 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 15:48
you can't really judge a previous time period by modern terms

I dont see your point there Rik. Thats like saying that slave trade was not cruel as 'thats what people did in those days'. Tintin blew up a Rhino - thats maltreating an animal be it 1930's or 1990's. I understand that Big game hunting was big then, but that doesnt mean it was ok.
Im not from the anti-hunting lobby or anything, its just i cant understand how you would not class the Rhino incident as Maltreatment.
OJG
#18 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 17:21
Sorry for the misundertanding about the Scandinavian version- I thought that all colour versions were like this.

I think you have to take the earliest Tintin books (i.e. Soviets-America) with a pinch of salt. At this early stage of his career, Hergé was a product of his time and was only going on what he knew. The same can be said of Tintin, and given that Tintin was very young in Congo (he looks younger than in other books IMO), I think that he (Tintin) was only doing what he had learnt from others.

We have clearly all been brought up to think that things such as the rhino incident are cruel. Tintin would not have been. Given his young age, I think we can forgive him! Especially so if you take into account how (as Hergé did) his ideas about such matters matured over the years as he got older.
Tintinrulz
#19 · Posted: 16 Mar 2005 23:06
Slave trading and animal hunting are on two different levels - they don't really compare. Animals lives are precious, but human lives are far more valuable. So I don't think the comparison really works.
snafu
#20 · Posted: 18 Mar 2005 02:40
have you read Tintin in the Congo Snafu old chap?

Although I missed my chance at seeing Tintin in the Congo (there will always be other chances, though, and I will never give up), but I have seen that scene where Tintin drills explosives into and blows up a rhinoceros.
Tintin in the Congo was an anomaly; according to my knowledge, Hergé never really intended to make this book, and his commissioner, a Catholic minister, told him to make something about how good colonialism in Africa was. Hergé would later regret making that particular scene, and he made many changes to it. I do not consider Tintin in the Congo to be truly Hergé's because he was given so little freedom in building the story. In the works that were truly his, Hergé does not abuse animals.

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!