Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Tintin tribute on Arthur: "Fern Fern & the Secret of Moose Mountain"

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Aldora
#11 · Posted: 17 Mar 2005 21:27
Actually, his name is Arthur Reed. sorry, I had to point that out.

Lol, I really wanna watch it now! I guess it might've tried to be a little like 'Tintin in Tibet'... just a little...
Tintinrulz
#12 · Posted: 17 Mar 2005 22:15
Mouse. Aardvarks look a lot different. Unless this isn't the Arthur series he is talking about.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/books/news/01/16/television.lechner/tv.arthur.jpg
MoonRocket
#13 · Posted: 17 Mar 2005 22:23
Arthur's definitely an aardvark. I remember watching the series when I was a little kid. Besides, real-life aardvarks aren't particularly *cute*, and I think they wanted to make the show appeal to kids, hence the reason why Arthur doesn't really resemble an aardvark.
jockosjungle
#14 · Posted: 17 Mar 2005 22:27
Well although I don't like to doubt you Jock123, i stand by the fact that he looks more like a bear than an aardvark. Although I've never really seen the show. I thought an aadvark had a long nose like in the Racoons or Pink Panther

Rik
Tintinrulz
#15 · Posted: 17 Mar 2005 22:59
What about Hamilton Matress (animation short?) That had an aardvark that looks like an aardvark as the main character and its made for kids.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00015HV9W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Richard
UK Correspondent
#16 · Posted: 17 Mar 2005 23:16
There was also Otis the Aardvark, for anyone who remembers him (he was one of the last glove-puppet characters on CBBC, after Gordon the Gopher and Ed the Duck) - he actually looked like an aardvark, albeit one who wore jumpers and a cap, and liked toffee.

http://db.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/backstage/past_pres/images/pastpop_pic_otis.jpg
jock123
#17 · Posted: 18 Mar 2005 00:15
As I said, I don’t claim that Marc Brown knows what an aardvark looks like, but that is what Arthur is (and yes, I did check that it was the Arthur of the cartoon series/ books/ CD-ROMs first; I will say that I found sites listing him as Arthur Aardvark, but am happy to accept that he uses the name Reed).

See here for more on Marc Brown and Arthur than you can shake a stick at...
jockosjungle
#18 · Posted: 18 Mar 2005 08:49
Cheers for the links Jock! It must be hard being the world's most famous Aardvark when people argue whether you're a mouse or a bear!

From http://childrensbooks.about.com/cs/authorsillustrato/a/marcbrown.htm

Why an aardvark?
What happened to Arthur's nose?
When Marc Brown was growing up in Erie, Pennsylvania, he and his three sisters enjoyed the stories his grandmother told. After training at the Cleveland Institute of Art, Brown held a number of different jobs, including book illustrator. He enjoyed telling stories to his own children. His son's favorite story was one Brown told about an aardvark named Arthur who hated his nose. Brown's publisher encouraged him to write it, and the rest is history. "Arthur's Nose" was published in 1976. Since that time, Brown has written and illustrated more than 30 books about Arthur and his family.

There are many theories about why Arthur's nose has gotten smaller. Some say Marc Brown felt it was easier to depict Arthur's facial expressions without a long nose in the way. Teachers have found that students enjoy coming up with their own explanations for why Arthur's nose has changed, and the question has become a popular writing assignment. Ask your children what they think.

It seems that he cut off his nose or something.

Would love to see the Tintin inspired episode though

Rik

PS. Sorry to go off topic, seems rather unnecessary though to start a "Arthur: Where the hell is his nose?" thread on a Tintin forum
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#19 · Posted: 18 Mar 2005 19:31
As a point of interest, the Zutzut show was Arthur's 100th episode ! I used to watch Arthur quite a bit, and the 'Zutzut' episode sounds very intriguing. I doubt very much that a UK airing will take place, though.

I remember Otis The Aardvark - it's such a pity that puppets are no longer a staple part of British Children's TV ...

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!