Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Comics in general: recommendations

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Harrock n roll
#11 · Posted: 14 Mar 2005 16:20
If you’re into European stuff I’d recommend the new line of DC – Humanoids range

Also published by Humanoid is the recently released English version of The Road to Cao Bang: By the Numbers, the first part of the adventures of Victor Levallois by Laurent Rullier and Stanislas.

I already had them in French but I never got round to reading them. When I saw there was an English version I had to check it out. I'm glad I did because it was one of the best comics I've read in ages and comes heartly recommended - It's very Tintinesque!

(This has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum but the artist Stanislas also drew the excellent Les Aventures d' Hergé.)
rastapopoulos
#12 · Posted: 15 Mar 2005 09:19
recently released English version of The Road to Cao Bang: By the Numbers,

I think i will have to purchase that! Looks very interesting indeed. I hope they keep bringing out new english translations. Due to my lack of French Language knowledge, its nice to know that these Euro Gems are making their way to the English speaking market!
jock123
#13 · Posted: 17 Mar 2005 10:11
In re: The Road to Cao Bang: By the Numbers. Good call, Harrock - I bought a copy the other night (at Mega-City Comics in Camden: nice to see them stocking a few English-language European titles!), and I am enjoying it!

I am finding the text/ lettering a bit annoying; there are a few places that it doesn’t seem particularly well honed, and I hate the way the text is placed in small size at the centre of balloons with acres of space round about - is it like that in the French book? But these are minor points; the story is intriguing.
Harrock n roll
#14 · Posted: 17 Mar 2005 13:53
Yes the lettering is far nicer in the French version, reminicent of the Hergé lettering in the pre-colour Tintin books. And the format (Tintin-sized hardback) is also nicer; any fluent French-speakers would do better to buy that version.

I've scanned a sample page here for comparison. (The jpeg may not open in a browser so "save as").
jock123
#15 · Posted: 17 Mar 2005 14:00
Thanks, Chris! That looks much better, IMHO: the overall tone of the page changes in the English-language version, simply because there is more white on the page - it could have been done a lot more felicitously.

The page opened fine in Safari, BTW.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#16 · Posted: 18 Mar 2005 19:29
Thanks for the jpeg, Chris ! It looks great, I'm really interested in that book. Must get around to buying it at some point, as I really enjoyed 'Les Aventures d' Hergé'.
Harrock n roll
#17 · Posted: 18 Mar 2005 20:13
I should have also mentioned that the English version comprises books 1 and 2 of the French versions (Trafic en Indochine and La Route de Cao Bang), so it would be a much cheaper way of buying them, even if it's not as asthetically pleasing.

There is a part 3 & 4 in French although I don't see a further volume listed in the Humanoids Publishing release schedule.

On the subject of Les Aventures d' Hergé; whilst I was in Germany I noticed that the book is also available in German published by Carlsen, the Danish/German/Swedish publisher of Tintin. It struck me that the Carlsen publishers have served their readers pretty well because the volume fits very nicely alongside the rest of the official canon.

It's worth bearing in mind that Carlsen have also released all* of the facsimile editions (whilst we're still waiting for Cigars), not to mention Blake and Mortimer, Yoko Tsuno and a host of other BD. Pity we don't get the same...
jock123
#18 · Posted: 18 Mar 2005 21:40
Harrock n roll
There is a part 3 & 4 in French although I don't see a further volume listed in the Humanoids Publishing release schedule.
However there is a sign of hope in that the spine bears the legend “By The Numbers #1”, so perhaps a “#2” is somewhere in the works… The Freddy Lombard “Charland Anthology #2” pitched up recently too, but wasn’t well advertised on the site.

As for what you say about Carlsen, well I doff my hat to them: let’s hope that the flurry of interest in BD from DC spurs on a new wave of English language versions. I’d like to see IR$, Largo Winch, Tanguy and Laverdure, oh an lots of others…!
rastapopoulos
#19 · Posted: 6 Apr 2005 14:32
Also published by Humanoid is the recently released English version of The Road to Cao Bang: By the Numbers, the first part of the adventures of Victor Levallois by Laurent Rullier and Stanislas

Im in the middle of reading 'Road to Cao Bang' and thouroughly enjoying it, in a way that reminds me of the fun of reading Tintin books as a child that I cant recapture now as I know the books (tintin) inside out.
Anticipating reading 'Freddy Lombard' Anthology 2 that my friendly comic store ordered me.
Lets hope Humanoids bring out more from our Euro cousins!
mrkarabine
#20 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 02:54
Terry and the Pirates, by Milton Caniff. Wonderfully drawn bunch of characters having adventures in 30s 40s China in much the same way as The Blue Lotus.
Carl Barks Scrooge McDuck and Donald adventures. Wonderfully atmospheric and imaginative adventures with the ducks. Never successfully realised on the screen.
The Trigan Empire, by Don Lawrence, from Look and Learn and Ranger magazine. Gorgeously painted, and compelling stories of a Roman Empire style world fused to scifi on the planet Elekton.
Little Nemo in Slumberland- think of the dream sequences in Tintin, with the amazing line...
Wash Tubbs and Captain Easy by Roy Crane, early 30s, has the same relaxed style of the early Herge, with a young lad and a captain for adventure and mayhem.

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!