Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Tintin & Captain Haddock Drunk: Does this scene exist in a TV cartoon?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Aldora
#1 · Posted: 20 Mar 2005 21:24
My step mother is claiming endlessly that she remember seeing an episode of 'Tintin' on tv where Tintin and Captain Haddock are walking down an alley or something, absolutely drunk, helping eachother to walk, and singing old sailor songs. I keep insisting that she must've dreamed it. However, I recently realised that there were some extra cartoons of Tintin that weren't created by Herge`, and I was wondering weather this scene did happen in a cartoon, just not on any of my DVD's. Is there anyone who could help me settle this once and for all? Was there an episode of Tintin where the Captain and Tintin are drunk? Thanx in advance!!!!!
snafu
#2 · Posted: 20 Mar 2005 21:29
Although I have only seen a cartoon version of "The Black Island", the gross failure of the episode to capture the spirit of the actual book convinced me that I may as well remain loyal to the books and not really explore the cartoons. Therefore, I think that there was a chance of that scene really being on TV. If this is so, this just proves that nothing in the world can capture the spirit of Tintin the way Herge's books do.
Karaboudjan
#3 · Posted: 20 Mar 2005 21:32
Maybe she means 'The Crab With the Golden Claws', where the two are made drunk (if temporarily) by the fumes of the alcohol wafting around. This is the one time we see them blind drunk together...

I'm not sure if they showed this on TV, maybe it was the earlier series (which I haven't seen). It isn't in the Belvision one.
snafu
#4 · Posted: 20 Mar 2005 21:41
Maybe she means 'The Crab With the Golden Claws',

Still, in the actual story they weren't singing sailor songs, though.
Aldora
#5 · Posted: 21 Mar 2005 03:14
I've only ever seen the ones by Ellipse-Nelvana.
But weren't there episodes (The Lake of Sharks, for example) that weren't done by Hergé?
Karaboudjan:
I'm not sure if they showed this on TV, maybe it was the earlier series

What do you mean 'earlier series' Karaboudjan? Do you mean the ones that haven't been re-done and placed on the DVD's?
If so, I've just seen that one on TV ('Tintin' is showing in my state on normal T.V. Yay!), and that didn't have the scene.
I think my step mother dreamed it...
finlay
#6 · Posted: 24 Mar 2005 22:42
I thought the TV episodes actually cut out the alcoholism altogether.
Even though Hergé is really painting a negative picture of it...
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#7 · Posted: 25 Mar 2005 09:42
That's true - I always find it hard to understand why the alcoholism was left out. I agree, the books always portray it in a very negative light - they certainly don't condone it !
jockosjungle
#8 · Posted: 25 Mar 2005 11:55
Maybe because Haddock was a very popular character and kids would think drinking whiskey to be cool!

Rik
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#9 · Posted: 25 Mar 2005 12:11
That's a possibility, I suppose, I hadn't thought of it like that ! Actually, that would make a lot of sense.
jock123
#10 · Posted: 25 Mar 2005 12:25
Strictly speaking, I think they cut out alcohol and drinking it, rather than alcoholism, which is a disease.
Apart from the influence on children, or condoning drunkeness, it would make the cartoons saleable in markets where for cultural reasons people don't drink - much of the Arab world, the Mormon areas in the U.S.A. etc., and (which I think is the case in the U.K., for example) the law on what can and can't be shown on children's television wouldn't allow it.

Now back on topic (as we have strayed somewhat) I can't say I recall the incident described, but it has been a long time since I saw some of the Belvision series.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!