Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Most paranoid Tintin adventure

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

snafu
#1 · Posted: 9 Mar 2005 02:55
Maybe I misused the word paranoid, but off the official Tintin books there is only one where nobody can be trusted despite all the appearances: "King Ottokar's Sceptre". Some people appear to help Tintin but are in fact conspirators. Anyone else to back or to challenge this claim? Any other equally paranoid episodes?
Aldora
#2 · Posted: 9 Mar 2005 03:22
What about 'Tintin and the Picaros'? It was even stated that Tintin was always thinking that everyone was in a conspiracy or something.... from the top of my head. But that was an episode with San Theadoros and Tapioca and Alcazar are always at each other's throats when it comes to the domination of the state. though that person from the 'Calculus Affair' (Can't remember who though) was being conspicuous (I think that's the word) I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for though.......................
Karaboudjan
#3 · Posted: 9 Mar 2005 12:04
How about 'Cigars of the Pharaoh' (damn, even now I'm not sure how to spell that)? Being wanted for the police for a crime you didn't commit, incarceration in a mental hospital and, at the very end, having even minor supporting characters in on the drug conspiracy...

I can't think of ANY adventure as unsettling as that one. Especially with the fakir roaming loose, shooting people with the juice of madness.
OJG
#4 · Posted: 9 Mar 2005 13:03
I wouldn't say that King Ottokar's Sceptre had more untrustworthy characters than some. Like nearly all Tintin adventures, it had its fair share, but there were a select few who could be trusted, such as the King and the original Hector Alembick. Plus all of the 'Tintin family' like the Thompsons and Castafiore.

I would agree both Cigars and Picaros would be better candidates. In Cigars, like Karaboudjan says, there are so many of the minor characters on 'the bad side', as it were. I woud say that Picaros was even more of a 'paranoid' adventure though; even Pablo turns out to be a traitor! And despite being a loyal friend of Tintin, you never really felt that you could fully trust Alcazar!
Ranko
#5 · Posted: 9 Mar 2005 20:46
Can we allow the paranoia induced by Rascar Capac and the seven crystal balls to be included?
The explorers, specifically Professor Tarragon, suffered badly.."Murderers...They're coming to get me!" etc.

A paranoid episode?
snafu
#6 · Posted: 11 Mar 2005 03:29
Ranko, that is simply scary. But nothing in "The Seven Crystal Balls" could really make you fear and distrust everyone except fellow Tintinologists : )
Kurvi Tasch
#7 · Posted: 25 Mar 2005 17:25
I believe that the Cigar/Lotus suite is by far the most paranoia-inducing adventutre yet. Nobody could be trusted, as it seemed that everybody, even the most minor characters, were members of Rastapopoulos' littles gang. Even characters with the smallest parts, like some of the people in the bungalow party scene, traded opium. Very paranoid. It's amazing that Herge was able to captivate his aduience so early on in his career. Those talents make someone a good cartoonist.
snafu
#8 · Posted: 25 Mar 2005 23:44
Nobody could be trusted, as it seemed that everybody, even the most minor characters, were members of Rastapopoulos' littles gang. Even characters with the smallest parts, like some of the people in the bungalow party scene, traded opium.

But many of those minor characters played very small roles in the story and posed little direct threat to Tintin or to the Maharajah. The really dangerous characters (Rastapopoulos, the Fakir with the darts, Mitsuhirato, etc.) were still major characters, and with the exception of Rastapopoulos they are clearly portrayed as gangsters, even in the way Herge draws them. The same can't be said in "King Ottokar's Sceptre"...
Tintinrulz
#9 · Posted: 26 Mar 2005 01:33
(In my opinon) The Calculus Affair is the most paranoid Tintin adventure as next to no one can be trusted as a friend.
BlackIsland
#10 · Posted: 28 Mar 2005 23:35
In my opinon) The Calculus Affair is the most paranoid Tintin adventure as next to no one can be trusted as a friend.
Well it is the most lifelike and intense of the adventures.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!