Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: News and general discussion

Page  Page 3 of 65:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  62  63  64  65  Next » 

jock123
#21 · Posted: 29 Mar 2005 14:23
I am constantly surprised at how the general opinion of the cartoons seems to have dropped over the years - they were seen as gems when they came out!

I grew up with the Belvision versions, and I loved them - I didn’t care that they weren’t much like the books, they were still Tintin.

I even quite like Lake of Sharks!

But the best animated versions to date are the Nelvana ones, and I rather like the way they interpret the stories - some of the additional material is very neatly done, and the inclusion of Hergé’s cameos is genius!
snafu
#22 · Posted: 29 Mar 2005 23:30
It's so hard to capture the spirit of Tintin when the stories are in non-print form, which is what I realized when I saw "The Black Island". The same thing probably applies to any movie of Tintin. Tintin in the comic-book form seems to do the best justice to Tintin. That is what people in general probably realized after seeing Tintin in a non-print form.

Anyway, what did Herge want a non-print interpretation to be like?
OJG
#23 · Posted: 30 Mar 2005 11:59
I like the cartoons, or at least I like the Ellipse-Nelvana ones. But I don't think it's fair to compare them to the books as they will never be as good. Tintin started out in comic book form, and that is how it is at its best. A television series will never be able to capture everything that the books did, but it was still very enjoyable.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#24 · Posted: 30 Mar 2005 17:45
snafu said :
Anyway, what did Herge want a non-print interpretation to be like?

I'm not entirely sure what he said on the matter, although I think it was something about considering his heros to be real people (when he was drawing them), and regarding the making a film, that the budget would probably need to be on par with a James Bond film.

And in response to what jock123 said, I still think the Ellipse-Nelvana cartoons are an excellent adaptation of the books, it sticks very closely to the original books, the art is generally upto a good standard, the extra bits put in enhance the storyline (the opening of The Crab with the Golden Claws episode, for example) and the bits that were cut out were probably to make the stories more acceptable to a global audience. I read somewhere that the team that worked on the series were fans of the original albums before they made it, so they had a personal wish to make it true to Hergé's work.

Oh, and I really like Tintin and the Golden Fleece too, although that's getting really off topic, so I'll leave it there.
Aldora
#25 · Posted: 16 Apr 2005 12:53
Sorry for digging up old posts... I liked the Tintin cartoons... Anyway...

I was scanning across the internet, since it's coming close to 2006, (ha ha *dripping with sarcasm*) and i've been getting excited about the news about Steven Speilburgs 'Tintin' and I guess I wanted to confirm it for myself. Then I stumbled across this...

"• THREE TIMES THE TINTIN •

Steven Spielberg is apparently set to produce and or possibly direct not one but potentially three adaptations of the famous comic TinTin. The "deal is nearly signed" and shooting is aiming to begin next winter for a release in 2006."

I don't know, I thought I'd tell everyone... I've seen Speilburg's work, I think it'll be pretty cool! Again, sorry for digging up old posts...
number1fan
#26 · Posted: 29 Jun 2005 10:05
why has speliberg gota make a tintin movie his going to ruin the tintin series like americans ruin everything! did u know that indiana jones would have originally bin tintin but speliberg coudnt get the rights frm herge?

Moderator Note: Firstly, there is no need to be so offensive! Your statement about Americans is both obviously wrong and completely unjustified: any more similar remarks, and you will be automatically put on pre-moderation.
Secondly, it is also untrue that Indiana Jones grew out of Tintin: it was an homage to old American serials, and was created, co-written and produced by George Lucas, who hired Steven Spielberg to direct it. See here for details.
tybaltstone
#27 · Posted: 29 Jun 2005 13:56
[moved from "Existing Tintin films - general discussion"]

Speilberg has made a lot of good, enjoyable films. Tintin - the books - will always remain the same, they can't be touched. I think the film will lead a lot of people to the books. The film might be excellent. Americans have contributed a lot to popular culture and have contributed a lot to the comic strip art form. I love Indianna Jones. Let's be patient and see.
Danagasta
#28 · Posted: 29 Jun 2005 19:36
[moved from "Existing Tintin films - general discussion"]

why has speliberg gota make a tintin movie his gona ruin the tintin series like americans ruin everything
First of all, we don't ruin everything. As an American, I find that assumption to be offensive and most definitely not becoming of a Tintin fan. I'm an American Tintin fan, and would give a vital organ to see a movie like that.
Remember to respect diversity, folks.
Courtney
jockosjungle
#29 · Posted: 29 Jun 2005 20:51
Got to agree with Danagasta we should keep an open mind about the Tintin movie (if it happens) and Spielberg is a generally good director. But then again tomorrow he ruins War of the Worlds.

American culture has also brought us a lot of great entertainment. Can only think of one British show I ever watch and that has just finished.

Back on topic I personally have enjoyed every Tintin film attempt I have seen, I even quite liked Lake of Sharks when i first saw it. I have only seen the golden fleece of the live actions and it was in French but I followed the general plot and liked the guy who played Tintin.

But to be honest I don;t think we have seen a definitive Tintin on television or the cinema.

Rik
tybaltstone
#30 · Posted: 29 Jun 2005 23:26
I doubt the BBC will show the Tintin films as I can't see they'd be very popular. As a curiosity perhaps, maybe they'll make it onto BBC 4 as part of a Tintin night (hah!).

It's unusual to hear that someone likes Tintin in the Congo the best as it's a fairly slap-dash story I think, and wouldn't make a very good film, in my opinion. Though, funnily, I always thought it did closely resemble one of those 30's action adventures, like early Rider Haggard's King Solomon's Mines or one of the other African adventure types... outdated, but fun, if in a rather bad way! :-)

What cartoon ever hurt anyone? Well, it's not the cartoon form itself, but the wrong content put in that form can be harmful. The Nazis used animation as propganda, as did other countries. If someone did make an animated Congo, it wouild have to be done sensitively for a modern audience, and I think would have to change from the original book. Even Hergé - I'm sure - would agree with that.

Page  Page 3 of 65:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  62  63  64  65  Next » 

This topic is closed.