Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: His real name, or a nickname?

Page  Page 5 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#41 · Posted: 2 Apr 2005 12:55
What do you mean exactly by 'ring' ?

Were you pointing out a pun on "tintinnabulation", yamilah?

Ed
yamilah
#42 · Posted: 2 Apr 2005 14:48
Thanks Richard for your answer.

Tintinnabulation?
I wish I could, edcharlesadams...
Jyrki21
#43 · Posted: 3 Apr 2005 03:55
If you do a search on Wikipedia for the word "fanon," this note comes up as part of the page:

"Tintin
Tintin is always known under his sole name, which implies that "Tintin" is a nickname. Apparently, after several spin-off comics from Belgium, it seems that Tintin's real name is "Augustin van Kuifkje". Still, it is doubtful since it was not made by Hergé and the "real name" is composed by Tintin's name in Wallish ("Kuifkje") and a typical French first name ending by "tin" (resolving in the syllabe-repetition nickname "Tintin")."

I'd never heard that before, anyway...
Richard
UK Correspondent
#44 · Posted: 3 Apr 2005 12:21
How odd ! I can't really see him as an Augustin, myself.

Following on from the reference in the "Origins of the name TINTIN" thread, there's a page (with illustrations) on Rabier's Tintin Lutin here, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
yamilah
#45 · Posted: 3 Apr 2005 14:37
In French, 'faire tintin' means 'to be deprived of something', so could possibly Tintin be missing some thing ?

Considering the rather distorted work's content -as discussed in some other threads- Tintin could also stand for a pair of distorted syllables, but of course two solitary ones would be totally meaningless and insensible by themselves ... Still such a distortion would fit rather well with much of the rest, imho...
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#46 · Posted: 3 Apr 2005 14:37
Jyrki21:
Tintin is always known under his sole name, which implies that "Tintin" is a nickname.

How very, very bizarre ! I wonder how that came into being !? ;)
yamilah
#47 · Posted: 4 Apr 2005 12:13
Considering Herge said 'Tintin, Haddock and all the others are me', 'Tintin' could rather stand for the two first 'distorted' syllables of his message, than to have been borrowed from these rather irrelevant Augustin or Tintin Lutin, imho...

More 'influencing' Tintins here for the amateurs: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/prad/1influences/petit-illustre-10juin23-.gif and
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/prad/1influences/petit-illustre-17juin23-.gif and
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/prad/1influences/petit-illustre-23-12-23-.gif ...

Err... considering that 'Tintin is neither a surname nor a name (...) nor a first name' (page 1/8) and that on page 7/8 the same http://tintin.francetv.fr/en/index.html officially asserts that 'the sudden acceleration gives Tintin the distinctive quiff with which he is synonymous', 'Tintin' should actually stand for nothing but his 'tilted M-shaped' quiff... which doesn't seem to mean much by itself alone (see above).

--
[Edited by Moderator (marsbar): combined two consecutive posts]
Aldora
#48 · Posted: 6 Apr 2005 23:22
"Augustin van Kuifkje" ? Strange... I always thought Tintin was just his name. Ppl make jokes that his first name is "Tin" and his last name is "Tin" ... very lame...

Off topic, but how do you pronounce "Kuifkje" ?

--
[Moderator note: Aldora, please stick to the topic. Answer to your off topic question:'kife-yuh' - see existing thread on kif-yuh!
Also, please note that we are an international forum with users from all over the world and not all of us are fluent in English. Please write in as proper English as you are capable of and avoid using chat lingo/leet speak. Thanks.]
Harrock n roll
#49 · Posted: 7 Apr 2005 08:01
Jyrki21 discovered in Wikipedia:
the "real name" is composed by Tintin's name in Wallish ("Kuifkje") and a typical French first name ending by "tin" (resolving in the syllabe-repetition nickname "Tintin").

Hmmm... now where did Wikipedia get this information from? I'm not sure at all what they mean by "Apparently, after several spin-off comics from Belgium.."; what "spin-off comics"? And also, surely Kuifkje should be spelled Kuifje?
akash94
#50 · Posted: 8 Apr 2005 10:03
You said "It could be that Tintin, if not exactly a nickname is at least a diminutive of his forename". I think that is almost right but in the website www.tintin.com it said that "Tintin" is neither a surname nor a first name, it is mush more than that Tintin is totaly a unique world, a myth or a saga.

Page  Page 5 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!