Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Asterix films on Nicktoons TV (UK)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Richard
UK Correspondent
#1 · Posted: 3 Apr 2005 20:45
Just in case anyone's interested, the first three Asterix cartoon films will be screened next week on UK channel 'Nicktoons TV' (Sky digital channel 606). Asterix the Gaul will be shown on Monday 4th April, Asterix and Cleopatra on Wednesday 6th, and The Twelve Tasks of Asterix on Friday 8th April, all at 2:30pm til 4pm. I'm guessing the rest will be shown the week after.

And if there's anyone who fancies watching the little Gaul in Welsh, Asterix ym Mhrydain (Asterix in Britain) will be shown on S4C Digital (Sky digital channel 151) on Monday 4th April at 9am-10:15am, and Deuddeg Tasg Asterix (The Twelve Tasks of Asterix) on Friday 8th, same time, same channel.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#2 · Posted: 3 Apr 2005 20:51
Sounds good, Richard ! Those three are really excellent productions, I must say. I've got the French DVDs (with English language tracks) but I think I'll be tuning in to the 'Nicktoons TV' ones if I have time ! I don't fancy watching it in Welsh, though ... the last time I tried that the result wasn't great ... ;)
blessedlightning
#3 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 03:51
Has anyone seen the French movie "Asterix And Obelix Vs. Caesar " ? I saw it on the World Movies channel. Its an actual film (i.e. not a cartoon one) which I thought was quite cleverly and accurately constructed. If anyone' interested, they give a description of it on the worldmovies website-www.worldmovies.net
jock123
#4 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 12:41
blessedlightning
Has anyone seen the French movie "Asterix And Obelix Vs. Caesar"?

Do you know, I’ve had it on DVD for ages, but have never actually watched it properly! I must rectify that soon!

I have seen the “Mission: Cleopatra” live-action movie (curiously, perhaps, while I was at Disneyland Paris…), and it was a) beautifully produced, and b) hilarious! Why it never got a proper release here in the U.K., and hasn’t been out on DVD with English is virtually a crime! I’ve enjoyed some of the animated comedies (never in Welsh), but “Mission” is a brilliantly realised book-to-screen transfer, and I hope that Tintin gets at least as much love when it transfers...
Richard
UK Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 16:02
I thought that Mission Cleopatra was a superb film, really funny and well made. The costumes were excellent, as was the cinematography. Also the amount of spoofs and pop-culture references were great (Star Wars, Where's Wally ? and Benny Hill spring to mind).

I don't like the first live-action film, Asterix And Obelix Vs. Caesar, as much because it seems too disjointed as a story (being made up of a hotchpotch of albums) and the dubbing seems a bit childish, although the costumes again are very nice and the music is superb (the opening title music is great, and there's a song especially written and sung for the film by Jean-Jacques Goldman, Elle Ne Me Voit Pas).
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#6 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 21:04
I've only seen Asterix And Obelix Vs. Caesar, but I did thoroughly enjoy it, even if the dubbing was childish. I thought it really captured the spirit of the books, even if if was a hotchpotch of albums ...
Richard
UK Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 21:46
It's not so much the idea of dubbing being childish, just Asterix's voice didn't work for me ... it seemed a bit 'obvious', if you catch my drift. My own personal preference would be subtitles. The actors were very good in that film, especially Roberto Benigni as Detritus, and like I said, I think the music was superb in Take on Caesar. Goldman's song was great.

I think I'm just a bit biased because I've seen Mission Cleopatra, which I thought was excellent, and like jock think it's a crime that it's not had a release (I believe there was a very limited English DVD release, though I'd yet to find one). Plus it had the superb Ti Amo by Umberto Tozzi in it (dueting with Monica Bellucci) !
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#8 · Posted: 9 Apr 2005 10:57
Asterix's voice didn't work for me

I know what you mean - I just thought they captured the style of the books really well, and I thought it was a good transition to the cinema. As you say, Goldman's song was absolutely brilliant.

I haven't seen Mission Cleopatra, so I can't really compare the two, but it sounds good, from what you've said about it. It would be great to see a new English release in the near future !
Richard
UK Correspondent
#9 · Posted: 10 Apr 2005 21:24
On the subject of the Asterix films, the first trailer is available for the 2006 feature, Asterix and the Vikings. It's supposed to be the most expensive European animated film ever made - not sure whether that's a good thing or not. The book it's based on, Asterix and the Normans, isn't a particularly strong one (in my opinion), but the film should be interesting. And it'll be in English !

The trailer can be seen here (in RealPlayer format, hopefully a Quicktime one will be released soon).

And a comment from someone involved with the making of the film :

"We are producing it fully animated, hand drawn, good old "2D". We do use a little 3D as well, but only for stuff like boats etc., where previously one would use models. (By the way: this will be the first Asterix feature where the lines of the characters actually look like Uderzo's original lines. So the clean-up people are prematurely gray-haired...)"
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#10 · Posted: 10 Apr 2005 21:39
This will be the first Asterix feature where the lines of the characters actually look like Uderzo's original lines

Wow ! Sounds as if this will be a really faithful adaptation, which can only be a good thing ! It's great to see an animated Asterix feature again, especially one that sounds as if it'll be a good quality production. I haven't yet read Asterix and the Normans - I must try and find a copy for a reasonable price !

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!