Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: Tintin DVD box set - new cover

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

beinke
#1 · Posted: 9 Apr 2005 09:30
I was in my local DVD store today and saw the box set on the shelf, but was suprised to see a new image of Tintin on the front. It had changed to an image of Tintin running (or walking, i can't remember) in a yellow t-shirt and Plus-fours. On the cover of my box set, that i purchased as soon as it was released, has a picture of Tintin wearing a brown coat.

Are they making several different covers for the DVDs? I also noticed the packaging was a bit different. Both ends of the outer box were fold-out, not just one of them, like on my version.

This isn't that great of a deal, but just wondering if there are any more cover designs out there?
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 9 Apr 2005 09:51
Where are you based Beinke?

I have the one where he is wearing the coat, only other UK design I can think of is the original HMV Exclusive boxset which was silver

Rik
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#3 · Posted: 9 Apr 2005 10:42
If you are talking about the 5-disc HMV exclusive box set, beinke, there's more information about it here :o)
jock123
#4 · Posted: 9 Apr 2005 13:09
tintinuk
If you are talking about the 5-disc HMV exclusive box set

I don’t think it can be the HMV set, as as Rik said, that was silver, in a metallic finish, so Tintin was not wearing his yellow tee-shirt. I also think it was withdrawn or discontinued when the regular box came out.

I don’t recognise the idea of a bit that folds out. The UK set is just a straight case that the disks slip into, beinke, no flaps; is yours different?
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#5 · Posted: 9 Apr 2005 13:11
Yup - I can confirm that the HMV set was discontinued. The HMV set opens out to reveal a digibox layout, with 5-discs, and the old endpapers as a background.
Peveus
#6 · Posted: 9 Apr 2005 13:28
Spelled incorrectly? Blue Lotus first? Bizarre!

I have the Australian release which came out mid-2004 and it has a blue cover with a generic pic of Tintin on the front and Snowy on the back, it isn't that interesting.
If you pull out the inner box it folds out to reveal six discs, all with the box's cover picture on them. Behind them are pictures from one of the episodes on that disc (the emerald from The Castafiore Emerald, a mushroom from Shooting Star, etc.)
There are bonus features such as a chronology, bibliography and character profiles which are mildly amusing, though the chronology entries get shorter and shorter until they're just a sentence.

Anyway, it has French, English and Spanish too, though no subtitles which isn't very cool.

The episodes are all in the original (Belgian) book release order and spelled correctly; the order of the TV series being different to the books creates a few consistency errors, but in general, it's still fine.

As for The Blue Lotus being first on the HMV UK DVD set, I have a theory.
Look on the back of an older English Tintin book.
The Blue Lotus is listed at the top right. If you read the order left to right, you see that, then Tintin in America, then Cigars of the Pharaoh.
I have always wondered why Lotus was up there, and all I could come up with was that I believe it was the oldest final vesion - some ten years before even Cigars was done IIRC.

Wow, that was a long post. I'm out!
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#7 · Posted: 9 Apr 2005 13:49
I believe it was the oldest final vesion

The only problem with that theory is that it was the last book to be published in English (1983) ... But anyway, we're going off-topic !

Thanks for the info about your set, though, Peveus, we don't have any extra features on the UK releases ! :o(
beinke
#8 · Posted: 9 Apr 2005 14:29
jockosjungle:
Where are you based Beinke?

I'm in Australia.
jock123:
I don't think it can be the HMV set

Nah, it's not the HMV version. It's pretty much the same as the blue one with Tintin wearing a coat, except it's got a different pic of Tintin on the cover.

I've got the same type of box as Peveus described. The new box is a bit different. The outer box has two flap things on both sides to keep the inner bit (that holds the discs) inside. On the original, it only has one flap thing.

Sorry, I'm not the greatest describer. I'll try and get a picture this week.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#9 · Posted: 9 Apr 2005 15:34
I've never heard or seen of a set like that, beinke ! A photo would be great, thanks !
beinke
#10 · Posted: 12 Apr 2005 06:51
Ok, here's a few photos I got comparing the two different covers.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!