Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Hergé: Rare English-language books

Page  Page 6 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

jockosjungle
#51 · Posted: 10 Apr 2005 20:40
If anyone is interested, you can read a Work in progress of my article on rare tintin books here

http://members.lycos.co.uk/jockosjungle/hergeguide.htm

if the link doesn't work just go to it via the link on the front page at jockosjungle.co.uk

Rik
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#52 · Posted: 10 Apr 2005 21:22
Great article, Rik ! Very informative - I especially like the recommended ways of finding the books. The article's very original - I like it a lot ! :o)
Harrock n roll
#53 · Posted: 11 Apr 2005 21:08
Looks good so far Rik, I look forward to reading the finished piece!
Tintinrulz
#54 · Posted: 12 Apr 2005 04:17
Great info jockosjungles! Is there anyway you could make the text not stretch right across the screen, it makes it really difficult to read.
Thanks!
jock123
#55 · Posted: 12 Apr 2005 10:08
Good work! You might want to add in the brown cloth-covered limited/ numbered first edition of Soviets, and I think there might have been a miniature English version in a box with the French edition available for the 60th (I’m sure I saw one on eBay recently) - those would both be rare/ valuable items too.
OJG
#56 · Posted: 12 Apr 2005 13:24
That's a great article, Rik! Even for a Tintinophile like me, there was a reasonable amount of information that I didn't know. You've got pretty much everything covered on the books. Good Job! I particularly like the part at the end with the hints and tips on obtaining some. I assume you'll be keeping it up-to-date?
jockosjungle
#57 · Posted: 12 Apr 2005 16:26
Thanks for the comments so far, it's great when something you have worked on goes down well .I'll definitely be keeping it updated as much as possible.

Although the descriptions aren;t all there, as far as I can tell that is the complete list of English language books, let me know if you know of something that I have missed out. When i've compiled what I can I'll see if any others can fill in the gaps.

It's going to have pictures of all the covers so I'll probably be asking for some help for the rarer books out there.

Hopefully this will eventually be part of a series of lists, I might go for VHS/DVD next. I will probably add a detailed list of all the 24 albums available, with different publishers over the years, etc. However for the time being they didn;t seem the major priority.

I'm sure a lot of you are able to tick off a lot of those books on the list, I'm slowly building up to a complete collection - hence i bought a few off abebooks the day before i put the article on the net as quite a few were pretty cheap.

Rik

PS. Maybe i should write to the creators of those Eye Spy books where you looked for birds and got points for them and see if they would be interested in doing a Tintin book one
OJG
#58 · Posted: 12 Apr 2005 17:18
One book that had occured to me is the Pocket Essential Tintin. It's not strictly speaking a 'Tintin' book, but is related to it. I reckon that will be quite rare before long. It's also one of the few 'rarer' books I have at the moment!
Harrock n roll
#59 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 12:24
jock123 the brown cloth-covered limited/ numbered first edition of Soviets

I have a sealed edition of this volume (known as the “de luxe” edition I think) but I recently acquired an unsealed copy which has no number anywhere inside. Does anybody else have a copy of this with a number? I was told at the time I bought it (1989) that there were only 500 printed but I have no way of verifying this.
jock123
#60 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 14:35
I’ve got a numbered copy at home in Scotland (can’t remember what the number is!), and I thought that there were 500 copies too - I seem to recall that the story was it emulated a limited run which Hergé had had made for himself in the sixties or seventies.

My guess is that there are 500 numbered copies, and an unknown quantity (presumably small) of overs without numbers but in the cloth binding.

The question is now - how do you know that your sealed copy really has a number?? ;-)

Page  Page 6 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!