Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Favourite Haddock insults

Page  Page 1 of 5:  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

tintinfreak0075
#1 · Posted: 14 Apr 2005 07:55
Captain Archibald Haddock has given us some really classic insults which convey the meaning but are not really abusive. My favourite ones are "tin-hatted tyrants","fancy dress fatima" and "Two-timing Troglodytes". Some of the insults are (as we know) scientific words but I would really like if you people could just explain some of the words found in the Complete Haddock's Curses in the Guides Section.
- Thanks.
Karaboudjan
#2 · Posted: 14 Apr 2005 20:09
I was always fond of 'ostrogoth', myself. It means an eastern German warrior (I think). Its western counterpart, 'visigoth', also pops up in one of his tirades.

Otherwise... 'nitwitted nine pins' is sheer class, and for elliptical weirdness, you can't beat 'interplanetary pirate... freshwater spaceman'. A classic instance of Our Archie getting excited and completely scrambling his references.
MoonRocket
#3 · Posted: 14 Apr 2005 20:19
I've always loved the insult "ectoplasm." I don't know what a "megacycle" is, but I like that, too. And, of course, "Fancy-dress fascist."
vlghltlh
#4 · Posted: 16 Apr 2005 07:30
I like ectoplasm too, as well as pithecanthropus, dipsomaniac, and prize-purple jellyfish...actually I like them all; just can't remember all that like him.
Karaboudjan
#5 · Posted: 16 Apr 2005 16:37
Yes, he must truly have an encyclopaedic memory!
vlghltlh
#6 · Posted: 17 Apr 2005 05:47
It's also funny when he uses words that usually aren't used as insults, such as "vegetarian" and "coleoptera."
Karaboudjan
#7 · Posted: 17 Apr 2005 11:23
Such as "Lepidoptera (not sure how to spell that) to you too!"

For years I have sought a T-shirt with the curses on but alas, they are always out of stock or else not in my size.
harishankar
#8 · Posted: 17 Apr 2005 16:48
Does anybody remember which album contains this curse-word?
"Raggle taggle ruminants!"

I don't remember any mention of this phrase though I found it in this "guides/lists" in this site.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#9 · Posted: 17 Apr 2005 17:36
Does anybody remember which album contains this curse-word?
"Raggle taggle ruminants!"

If memory serves, I think it's in Prisoners of the Sun. That would make sense given Haddock's many run-ins with llamas in that story, which are members of the Ruminant family.

Ed
Karaboudjan
#10 · Posted: 17 Apr 2005 20:00
Yes- he yells at them after the avalanche, when they all run off.

Page  Page 1 of 5:  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!