Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Hergé: Rare English-language books

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

jockosjungle
#61 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 16:36
I think you should open it Harrock to find out. Did this edition have an ISBN?

Rik
Harrock n roll
#62 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 19:24
jock123 I’ve got a numbered copy at home in Scotland

I imagine you bought your copy back in 1989-90, around the time of the 60th anniversary? If you bought it in the Tintin shop (then known as Pilot) it might even have been me that sold it to you!

The question is now - how do you know that your sealed copy really has a number?? ;-)

Good point! By remote viewing perhaps...? But the fact your copy has a number is good enough for me!

I picked up the unsealed copy in Belgium so jock's theory that there were other un-numbered copies produced sounds right, perhaps to sell at the newly opened (in 1989) Tintin Shop in Brussels. Still, it kind of throws the “limited to 500” claim out the window!

Scouring through BDM (the BD “bible”) I see that 500 numbered copies were also produced for a French edition in 1969. Then in 1980 1,500 signed copies were made in a small format (which must have given Hergé severe wrist ache!) although the book mentions that “very probably only 500 were distributed, in greetings cards”.

jockosjungle I think you should open it Harrock to find out. Did this edition have an ISBN?

Now that 16 years have elapsed it would be a bit of a shame to open it. And having seen an opened copy I can at least confirm that it does have an ISBN. But then all books are required to have an ISBN number by law. Or was that just a ploy to get me to open it? ;)
jockosjungle
#63 · Posted: 13 Apr 2005 21:34
No it was a ploy for you to maybe tell me what the ISBN was!

Books normally have an ISBN but if a book is specially published for a certain retailer and available nowhere else they could have had it privately published and hence no ISBN would be needed.

Rik
Harrock n roll
#64 · Posted: 14 Apr 2005 10:12
No it was a ploy for you to maybe tell me what the ISBN was!

No problem Rik, the ISBN is 0951279912 - exactly the same as the “regular” Sundancer edition, which makes sense; it's the same book except for a different cover.

And any other help you need with your article let me know - I have quite a few of the books you have listed.
jock123
#65 · Posted: 14 Apr 2005 11:18
Harrock n roll
I imagine you bought your copy back in 1989-90, around the time of the 60th anniversary?
Spot on! If there was a souvenir bit at Chelsea Town Hall (or whatever the venue was called, that was where it came from.

If you bought it in the Tintin shop (then known as Pilot) it might even have been me that sold it to you!
A very nice idea, but it would have been my sister, who bought it as a surprise birthday-present for me! As she also got me the regular edition and the exhibition book, I was truly spoilt that year!

I wouldn’t swear to it, but I think the two French editions mentioned were both privately published for Hergé, and distributed to friends and colleagues; I understood that the 1969 edition was (again) signed by “Tintin” and “Milou”, as per the first edition, but I’m prepared to admit that the ol’ brain doesn’t recollect as well as it used to these days…

Out of interest, what does the guide suggest these would retail for?

Oh, and did the Belgian-sourced English edition come with a card-board book-mark, featuring the same illustration as is on the little plate on the cover? My numbered one did.
Harrock n roll
#66 · Posted: 14 Apr 2005 12:13
I wouldn’t swear to it, but I think the two French editions mentioned were both privately published for Hergé, and distributed to friends and colleagues

Yes, I recall reading that somewhere. BDM says the 1969 and 1980 editions were published by Studio Hergé rather than Casterman so that would make sense.

The prices given in BDM are 650 € for the 1969 edition, nothing for the 1980 edition (they appear to have cocked-up as it says to see the greetings cards section for the price but they've left it out) and 15,000 € for an original 1930 signed edition, almost the rarest Hergé book of all (there are just a couple of other rarer/more expensive books listed but I'll save that for another post or we'll be completely side-tracked into talking about rare French editions!)

did the Belgian-sourced English edition come with a card-board book-mark, featuring the same illustration as is on the little plate on the cover? My numbered one did.

No, long lost if it ever did. My other copy has one though, under the seal :)
jockosjungle
#67 · Posted: 18 Apr 2005 20:55
I've updated the article some more and uploaded it on my site but it;s still a work in progress.

If anyone is in the mood I'd appreciate any info/checking of all the books with a * by them (especially the ones with nothing written about them) as these were all written either from what i've researched or from what I remember of them when i was younger as I didn;t have the books.

Rik
Rocky
#68 · Posted: 18 Apr 2005 22:10
did the Belgian-sourced English edition come with a card-board book-mark, featuring the same illustration as is on the little plate on the cover? My numbered one did.

Yes! My Sundancer copy (not numbered) has the bookmark :)
talx01
#69 · Posted: 9 Nov 2009 19:52
I've 7 of them...

Tintin: Moon Adventure
Jo, Zette and Jocko - The Secret Ray
The Making of Tintin (The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure)
The Making of Tintin in the World of the Inca
Tintin and the Blue Oranges
Tintin and the Golden Fleece
Tintin at Sea (Michael Farr)
talx01
#70 · Posted: 9 Nov 2009 19:53
I've 7 of them...

Tintin: Moon Adventure
Jo, Zette and Jocko - The Secret Ray
The Making of Tintin (The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure)
The Making of Tintin in the World of the Inca
Tintin and the Blue Oranges
Tintin and the Golden Fleece
Tintin at Sea (Michael Farr)

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!