Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

The Castafiore Emerald: Tintin and Alfred Hitchcock?

Pixie
#1 · Posted: 25 Apr 2005 00:02
As a kid, growing up with Tintin and enjoying the humor and action, I really disliked The Castafiore Emerald as a story with almost no action.

Now, however, I think of it as a magnificent masterpiece of Hergé's.

The reason:

It's like a Hitchcock movie, the plot, the incidents, Igor Wagner's behavior.

Anyone else get this feeling that Hitchcock inspired Hergé and Tintin here?

--------

And a whole other question, how is Igor Wagner mentioned in the letter from Chang in Tintin in Tibet? can anyone explain?
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 27 Apr 2005 13:02
Hitchcock's influence has been mentioned on this forum before with respect to The Black Island (see the thread John Buchan connection).

-------------
OFF TOPIC

Pixie wrote: how is Igor Wagner mentioned in the letter from chang in Tintin in Tibet? can anyone explain?

Reply from Harrock n roll:
I don't have an English copy of Tibet to hand but in the French edition it's Mr. Wang (Chang's adoptive father from The Blue Lotus) who is mentioned rather than Wagner. So, either you're reading it wrong or you've discovered a wonderful error!

Reply from edcharlesadams:
Posted: Apr 27, 2005 05:23:21
There's no error as far as I can see, as you say Chris it's definitely Wang Chen-Yee that's being referred to. Interestingly, it occurs to me that English-speaking readers in 1962 would have had to wait over twenty years to find out exactly who he was! - Ed

Reply from Pixie:
Posted: Apr 27, 2005 06:13:54
Actually, it must be this website who made the mistake. I am referring to this:
Igor Wagner:
"Also appears in: The Castafiore Emerald, The Calculus Affair, Tintin in Tibet (his name was mentioned in Chang's letter to Tintin)."

Reply from Harrock n roll:
Posted: Apr 27, 2005 07:13:33
Ah, here you mean? Well spotted! Something there for admin to fix...

I was just wondering whether we could make Castafiore's brief cameo on the radio in Tibet as an appearance by Wagner too... hmmm maybe not...

Reply from Admin:
Posted: Apr 29, 2005 17:10:11
I have updated the entries for Wagner and Wang (Chen-yee) - thanks for spotting my cut and paste mistake, Pixie! :-)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!