Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Thomson and Thompson: Symbols of bureaucracy?

celalli
#1 · Posted: 22 Apr 2005 12:05
Does Hergé make a satire of the dark side of bureaucracy with Thomson and Thompson?
In the albums we see how Tintin faces difficulties because of the Detectives, almost as often as he is trouble because of the bad guys.
The Thom(p)sons are very devoted to their jobs, but they execute their duty in such a way that a reader might say, "With friends like these, who needs enemies?"
For example, in The Black Island Tintin had to contend with them as well as the bad guys.
So, it's difficult to deal with them, because of the bureaucratic way they interpret the law, but you can't do without them and that bureaucracy.
Charles
#2 · Posted: 27 Apr 2005 20:33
Perhaps, but then you have to also take into account the alliance that builds up between Tintin and the twins (for example, in King Ottokar's Sceptre -- and as far as I can recall, for the rest of the series). In truth, after the first few albums Tintin and the twins are close friends, sometimes even saving (or, as in Prisoners of the Sun, trying) to save each others' lives!

And I don't think Herge is trying to say that eventually bureaucracy can be our friend -- because it probably can't be! ;)
snafu
#3 · Posted: 27 Apr 2005 22:14
That's a very interesting take on the Twins! I previously read from somewhere that Herge based both characters on immediate family members. If I recall correctly, his father and his uncle served as inspiration for the two...
Clopin
#4 · Posted: 20 May 2005 05:17
I think the Thom(p)sons are only there as two bumblers who add up one whole halfwit... but interesting thought!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!