Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Black Island: Assorted anomalies?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

yamilah
#21 · Posted: 28 Apr 2005 15:43
Thanks jock123 for bringing these relevant external data.

Still it doesn't seem possible to match them with internal data so that they could help 'telling a story in the story', just as it wasn't the case either, in the 'Prisoners of the Sun' thread ;-)

Actually I meant Irish 'or' Gaelic (in its casual French 'distortion', i.e. what you call Scottish Gaelic).

Is that of any help?
jock123
#22 · Posted: 28 Apr 2005 16:01
yamilah
Actually I meant Irish 'or' Gaelic (in its casual French 'distortion', i.e. what you call Scottish Gaelic)

Irish and Irish Gaelic are generally speaking, referring to the same thing.
Scottish Gaelic and Scots are, again generally speaking, two different things.
Scottish Gaelic and Irish/ Irish Gaelic are relatives (and family members with Cornish, Breton, etc.)
Scots and English are related, with common ancestry, and shared vocabulary by creoss-fertilization between the two cultures. Scots is not a dialect of English, BTW.

Likewise, the two varieties of Gaelic are not the same, and the word gaelic is pronounced differently in each case: [Irish "Gay-lic", Scottish "Gah-lic". Either linguistic community might call what they speak Gaelic, without the qualifier, as might others in either country when talking about the local version (so someone saying in Aberdeen, "Have you seen the new roadsigns in Gaelic on the road to Dundee?" is talking about Scots Gaelic).

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!