Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: Are there two missing pages?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Richard
UK Correspondent
#1 · Posted: 25 Apr 2004 01:12
Moderator Note: Combined two or more similar threads

I came across this quote on the Wikipedia website concerning the album 'Flight 714' :

"... [the book] was found to be 64 pages long. Two pages were removed. The two omitted pages were meant to have appeared toward the end of the story, and covered the rescue of Tintin's group from an erupting volcano."

Does anyone have copies of these pages - ie. as they appeared in the 'Tintin' magazine ? I'd be very interested to see what originally happened, before cutting due to restrictions of space.
pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#2 · Posted: 25 Apr 2004 03:06
The Wikipedia articles on Tintin have an awful lot of errors and inconsistencies. Have you found anything else that mentions these missing pages?

Paul
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#3 · Posted: 25 Apr 2004 08:32
I remember reading about them in a book, perhaps The Complete Companion or Hergé and His Creation ... but I could be wrong .
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#4 · Posted: 25 Apr 2004 09:18
I've never seen them, and I'm not even sure if they ever appeared in Tintin magazine or whether they were dropped before their publication. I wouldn't have thought so but if they were published in the magazine you'd think that someone would have reproduced them by now. I hope they're still out there!
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#5 · Posted: 25 Apr 2004 11:11
I've never seen them too and they were not published in Tintin magazine. I've never heard of these missing pages. In Le monde d'Hergé" from Benoît Peeters you can see most of the missing pages.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#6 · Posted: 25 Apr 2004 11:44
They're definitely referred to in Harry Thompson's book. I can only think that maybe when the relevant Hergé: Chronologie d'une Œuvre book comes out they'll be in there.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#7 · Posted: 25 Apr 2004 13:22
Having just checked Harry Thompson's book, it seems that the pages weren't actually published in the magazine (I should research more before posting questions!), but it's proof that they do exist.

And in Tintin et Moi (P63 of the 2000 edition), Hergé said, when asked if he ever put together a story longer than 62 pages :

"Certainly, but you have to obey the rules of the publishers. For Flight 714, I made a mistake in my calculations : I ended up with two extra pages, and so had to condense the end of the story, which, with everything taken into account, isn't such a bad thing ..."

I wonder to what stage they were finished?

Pencil roughs, of course, maybe the neat pencil sketches? I doubt they would have got to the inking stage without someone pointing out the fact the book was two pages longer than the others; although this did happen with the extra page in Picaros (Sponsz and the glass).
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#8 · Posted: 25 Apr 2004 22:14
Please don't forget that we don't exactly the effective finished stage of the extra page in Picaros. This page was used afterwards in at least two publications, Cinquante ans de travaux forts gais, a limited-edition book designed as a gift for Hergé's friends and journalists which was produced for Tintin's 50th birthday, and Le musée imaginaire de Tintin, published to accompany an exhibition in Brussels in 1979.

I am not sure that this page was finished entirely in 1976. It was a illustration of Hergé's working process.
tintinspartan
#9 · Posted: 30 Apr 2007 13:52
Tintin adventures are always 62 pages long but in the case of Flight 714, there's a cliffhanger in the midst of the ending. How Tintin was rescued? Where were Rastapopoulos and Gang carried too?
Moulinsart could make a limited-edition of Flight 714 and its original 64 pages.

I would readily suggest that.
Any thoughts?
Borschtisov
#10 · Posted: 30 Apr 2007 14:00
I don't think they would release a whole limited edition just for those few extra pages. I agree of course that somehow they should release them for all of Tintin's fans to enjoy.

Aside from that, I'm not actually sure in what state those extra pages are. From what I know the drawings were still in the sketched form when Herge discovered he was two pages over. So I would assume he didn't develop them beyond that. Maybe someone else here knows a little more?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!