Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in America: what hotel does Tintin stay in?

jock123
#1 · Posted: 26 May 2005 23:52
I’ve been sent the following query by a member:

Can you tell me which hotel Tintin stayed in when in Chicago? Was it the Drake? Thanks.

I only have the B&W version to hand, and as far as I can see that version doesn’t mention the name of the hotel; Tintin only says as he arrives that it is the hotel he booked.

Can anyone confirm the name? Is it the Drake?

Cheers,

Jock123
rich23434565
#2 · Posted: 27 May 2005 03:03
On page one of the colour version, Tintin asks to be taken to 'The Osbourne Hotel'.

I've just ordered the black and white edition so I'm looking forward to comparing it with the colour version.

Rich :)
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 27 May 2005 06:03
In the French original black and white version, Tintin asks to be taken to "L'Hotel Osborne".
When Tintin arrives at the Hotel (a few days later), it is not named.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 27 May 2005 21:09
Thanks for that - I’d missed Tintin’s request to the cabbie, which is on page 2 in the B&W.
snafu
#5 · Posted: 28 May 2005 05:32
Interesting that in English it's spelled "Osbourne" while in French it's spelled "Osborne". Is it possible that these differences also exist between British and American editions (sadly, I can't remember Tintin to those details)?
Jyrki21
#6 · Posted: 29 May 2005 05:15
Interesting that in English it's spelled "Osbourne" while in French it's spelled "Osborne". Is it possible that these differences also exist between British and American editions (sadly, I can't remember Tintin to those details)?

No, the U.S. editions (at least, those of Atlantic-Little, Brown) import the language of the British translations wholesale -- the spelling, handwriting, etc.

This topic is closed.