Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Red Sea Sharks: Skut's nationality?

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

steen
#1 · Posted: 5 Jun 2005 13:30
I have read on this site (and several others) that the pilot Skut who appears in The Red Sea Sharks and Flight 714 is Estonian. I have only read the Danish translations of the albums and there is no clue in them that Skut ("Shyyh" in Danish) should be from Estonia.
Is it only in the English translation he is from Estonia or is it also in the original albums?
What nationality is he in other translations.

OT: In 1958 when the album The Red Sea Sharks was made, Estonia was part of the U.S.S.R

-Steen Hansen, Denmark
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#2 · Posted: 5 Jun 2005 15:21
Skut is Estonian both in the English translation and the original French (he gives his nationality in the seventh frame of page 35 of The Red Sea Sharks), though in the French version his name is Szut. Is there no mention in this frame of the Danish version?

Ed
steen
#3 · Posted: 5 Jun 2005 16:06
Thanks for the answer. It seems that it is missing in the Danish translation.
He is never mentioning his nationality. In fact on page 35, frame 7 there is no dialogue at all. It only shows Haddock and Tintin pulling Skut on to the raft. The following two frames has this dialogue. I have tried to translate it:
Haddock: "You are very good, eh? Worldchampion in machine shooting!... Who are you? What is your name?"
Skut: "Schyyh"
Haddock: "Who are you hushing on? I'll teach you politeness, mr. Rubbishmonkey! Just shut up and speak decent, you Trumpetsnail!"
Skut: "But... but... it is my name... Piotr Schyyh..."
Tintin: "Watch out captain, you knife!"
The next frame shows Skuts life jacket blowing up.
edcharlesadams
#4 · Posted: 5 Jun 2005 17:04
My mistake, I meant the tenth frame, but from what you've said it doesn't appear to be mentioned in the Danish version. The speech bubble in question does appear to be a little small, so perhaps the translators (or lettering artist) ran out of space? Is the Danish version hand-lettered or typeset?

Ed
steen
#5 · Posted: 5 Jun 2005 18:48
It is hand-lettered. All albums are translated by the same person, writer Jørgen Sonnergaard. The tenth frame is the one with three speech bubbles where Skut is saying: "But... but... it is my name... Piotr Schyy...".
Maybe there wasn't enough space. But the word "Estonian" is written "estisk" in Danish so there must be another explanation. However I don't think that it is such a big deal that I could trouble Jørgen Sonnergaard by writing and ask him.

But thanks for your reply.

-Steen Hansen, Denmark.
Tintinrulz
#6 · Posted: 6 Jun 2005 05:23
Hmm... For some reason I've always seen Skut as a Yugoslavian.
Hoxha
#7 · Posted: 7 Jun 2005 03:54
If I remember correctly, in the Spanish version his name is Piotr Pst and he is Estonian. The Spanish version name of the book doesn't translate as "Red Sea Sharks" but is called "Stock de Coque".
John Sewell
#8 · Posted: 7 Jun 2005 11:30
Much as it shames me to admit it, as a kid I assumed Estonia was one of Herge's fictional countries, like Syldavia and Khemed. Makes you wonder how I got that A level in geography.

...And "Mr Rubbishmonkey" deserves to go into the Haddock insult Hall of Fame! I certainly intend to use it as often as possible from now on!
edcharlesadams
#9 · Posted: 7 Jun 2005 13:16
Much as it shames me to admit it, as a kid I assumed Estonia was one of Herge's fictional countries, like Syldavia and Khemed. Makes you wonder how I got that A level in geography.

A forgiveable mistake, since Estonia didn't regain any of its independence from the Soviet Union until 1988. I certainly hadn't heard of it before then; mind you I was only six at the time!

Ed
snafu
#10 · Posted: 8 Jun 2005 15:50
Is Skut perhaps an alias? If Skut was indeed Estonian (their language is related to Finnish, Hungarian, Turkish and other Turkic languages, Altaic, and spoken Korean) his name would probably be more complicated. A lot of Finns, though are blond-haired the way Skut was, so I can't really doubt his nationality.

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!