Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

The new Doctor Who

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Pelaphus
#21 · Posted: 6 Jun 2005 08:12
Well, Jock, you inspired me to do some research -- usually I'm a master (or is that the Master) Googler, but the key words (canon, 8th Doctor, etc.) mostly turned up a batch of debate and speculation pages. So it wasn't easy.

But I finally -- FINALLY -- found this. I don't think it's the article I was referring to above (unless I misremembered or misinterpreted the specifics after I first read it -- all too possible, alas) but it defined the official word at the time. And clearly it was far more formal an understanding than I postulated in the previous post.

The full article is here:
http://www.doctorwho.co.uk/drwho/launch.shtml
and the relevant passage is duplicated below:

(Reprinted from DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE #275)

"To ensure that the plays remain faithful to the Doctor Who TV series in terms of style and content, BBC Worldwide has understandably insisted upon the right to approve all storylines and scripts. To this end, Stephen Cole -- consultant to the Doctor Who book and video ranges at Worldwide -- has been appointed executive producer for the BBC for Big Finish's Doctor Who output.

"Cole commented: 'As for as the BBC is concerned, these new stories are seen as part of the official Doctor Who canon. A great deal of responsibility comes with that status, and Worldwide did not assign this licence without careful thought. I will do everything I can to help Big Finish produce new Doctor Who to the highest possible standard and for the widest possible audience.' "

That established ... a bulletin board poster (at http://www.barbelith.com/topic/20565/from/385), citing a much more RECENT ish of DWM, said the following, which backs up your stance almost word-for-word.

"There is an interesting bit in this month's DWM by [Russel T. Davis] about how NONE of the external media is allowed to be canon, because the BBC's charter expressly forbids programme makers to create anything that requires viewers/ listeners to buy merchandise (and by this they mean all books/ magazines/ comics/ DVDs/videos/ audio adventures/ yada/ and/ yada) in order to understand a BBC production. It doesn't matter what the McGann novels say, it means nothing in the world off RTD BBC Who."

So it seems we're BOTH right ... Like the Doctor himself, I think the truth has regenerated to fit the circumstance.
jock123
#22 · Posted: 6 Jun 2005 10:05
Interesting! I guess as you say it’s a draw. I’d just add that Mr. Cole belongs to BBC Worldwide, which is a commercial company rather than a real content creator, not the BBC proper, and they have had, shall we say, disputes with the TV people as to who “owns” Doctor Who over recent years; I’d suggest that the “canon” remark is creative marketing to try to lull fanboys into feeling compelled to purchase…

Interestingly it brings the Fondation/ Moulinsart relationship to mind: Moulinsart couldn’t unilaterally decide to launch new Tintin - neither could Worldwide unilaterally launch new Doctor Who; they just about managed it on a few occassions, but fumbled it every time. Their last real foray was with the McGann Movie (made with the agreement of BBC TV) which had a contract so ill-considered that the BBC found themselves unable to get DW back on TV until Fox’s option on a property they didn’t want expired…
John Sewell
#23 · Posted: 7 Jun 2005 11:15
There is an interesting bit in this month's DWM by [Russel T. Davis] about how NONE of the external media is allowed to be canon, because the BBC's charter expressly forbids programme makers to create anything that requires viewers/ listeners to buy merchandise (and by this they mean all books/ magazines/ comics/ DVDs/videos/ audio adventures/ yada/ and/ yada) in order to understand a BBC production.

I noticed that the latest episode, Boomtown, had Rose mention Justicia, from the BBC novel The Monsters Inside, whilst describing her adventures to Mickey. Just a throwaway remark above the heads of anyone who hasn't bought the new books, but technically, I suppose it means they're canon! Naughty Russell! ;)

Then again, in The Long Game, the Doctor ordered a kronkburger, and they were first mentioned decades ago in an old Tom Baker Doctor Who Weekly strip!

Anyway, looks like things are going to get a bit sticky for the Doctor, Rose and Captain Flashheart, er, Jack, next week. I loved the retro design of the Dalek ships and control room glimpsed at the end of the teaser - straight out of the old TV21 strips from the 60s! (anyone else got that reprint of the whole run which Marvel published back in the 90s? It's great stuff!)
jock123
#24 · Posted: 7 Jun 2005 15:11
John Sewell
I noticed that the latest episode, Boomtown, had Rose mention Justicia, from the BBC novel The Monsters Inside,

Ahh, you mean when she mentioned the planet D’j’uu’stisheeaahp (the “p” is silent, as in psychology…) - a completely different place entirely I’m sure… ;-)

Yup - the fleet of spinning saucers looks truly amazing: as you say, straight out of the old comic strip! And yes, I have the Marvel collection somewhere, but I’d really like a quality hard-back reprint on art paper. I’m currently collecting the complete Trigan Empire series in just such a format, and it is just astonishing how good it looks!
jockosjungle
#25 · Posted: 11 Jun 2005 20:39
WOW what an episode tonight!

Really loved the futuristic take on the current series, sadly the way TV is moraley declining I would expect such shows within the next decade.

Cannot wait for the finale, the invasion looks good

Rik
Richard
UK Correspondent
#26 · Posted: 11 Jun 2005 22:13
jockosjungle
Cannot wait for the finale, the invasion looks good

Me neither ! I've really been enjoying the series, and it looks like it's going to go out with a bang. What an ending, though, the teaser looked incredible.
jock123
#27 · Posted: 11 Jun 2005 23:30
I’m intrigued as to how they will resolve it all without making the Doctor seem like a problem worse than the Daleks: he caused the “100 Years of Hell” that Earth suffered, was responsible for destroying his own planet, we’ve still to see the havoc that dumping the chap with the computer in his head back into the 21st Century (unless he turns out to be the Bad Wolf…); I mean, as the Web-site Guy said in the first episode, wherever the Doctor goes, death and destruction follow…

But a cracking episode, and wasn’t it a shock when Rose got killed? And didn’t the Daleks look great? Who thinks that the Dalek from ep. 6 might be the baddie with the big voice in the teaser? We now know that just because someone disappears, they may not be dead…
jockosjungle
#28 · Posted: 12 Jun 2005 08:10
And didn’t the Daleks look great? Who thinks that the Dalek from ep. 6 might be the baddie with the big voice in the teaser? We now know that just because someone disappears, they may not be dead…

Davros surely?

But a cracking episode, and wasn’t it a shock when Rose got killed?

Yes I was shocked, it seemed to me though that they were leaving the end of series open if Rose/Doctor didn't sign up again for another series. I could have seen Lynda as a possible new assistant.

Rik
John Sewell
#29 · Posted: 12 Jun 2005 10:03
That was real 'edge of the seat' TV - I loved the way it built up to the big revelation that the Daleks were behind it all. The opening scene of the Tardis crew finding themselves inexplicably trapped in the game shows was a fine "what the..?" moment, and the games overall trod the line perfectly between being funny and sinister.

Then we got the escape, Rose's "death" (and wasn't Eccleston's acting brilliant there and in the scene that followed?), and finally, that familiar (to an ageing fanboy like me, at any rate) heartbeat control room sound, and a terrified Rose backing away; "No!... You're dead!"

Some lovely directorial touches as well, particularly the way the Dalek exterminating the Controller was only seen as a distorted reflection (shame they had to blow the "surprise" of the dustbins' involvement in last week's teaser, but I suppose the BBC has viewing figures to think of). It's a shame that Joe Ahearne isn't going to be directing any of next year's Doctor Who, as he's achieved the impossible - he made me feel scared of Daleks for the first time since about, oh... 1975 at a rough guess!

jock123:
Who thinks that the Dalek from ep. 6 might be the baddie with the big voice in the teaser?

I was wondering about that too - if it just teleported away at the end of ep 6, it's had plenty of time to make itself the Emperor Dalek, and rebuild the race (possibly using the humans supposedly killed in the games as mutation-fodder?) The voice was very similar to the Emperor as heard in Evil way back in 1967, and the same as in the more recent BF Dalek Empire audios - hardly surprising as Nick Briggs does the voices there as well.

Only problem now is that we've got to wait another week to find out what's going to happen! Just like old times! ;)
Pelaphus
#30 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 05:36
The baddie with the big voice ... ?

Oh, surely it will be The Master!

By the way, the story that bridges the gap between the new backstory (the war that destroyed Gallifrey) and the introduction of the new Doctor is to appear in an IMMINENT novel, specifically timed to appear at about the end of the season. Apparently, that BBC charter is subject to loose interpretation ... ;-)

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!