Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Tintin Collectibles: Why so expensive?

smilecry
#1 · Posted: 17 Jun 2005 16:27
I had my first Tintin book when I was 5, and since then I have been a fan.
Tried to buy a few Tintin PVC characters recently and I found that they are so ridiculously expensive. For a Captain Haddock statue, it is almost US$400.
I really want to know who raised the price so high and I must say that it is really sad and shameful that Tintin has become a rich man's toy.
jockosjungle
#2 · Posted: 18 Jun 2005 08:50
Supply and demand I suppose, very few produced for the demand for them.

Are you talking about the little plastic figures that are about 3 inches high? I'm sure the Tintin shop sells something similar for about £6

Rik
jock123
#3 · Posted: 19 Jun 2005 15:57
I think that fundamentally there has been a decision made somewhere that Tintin should be kept exclusive, and made into a "life-style" product; I agree that this is disappointing, and that more could be done in fostering a "low-end" market of toys, games and clothes for the less affluent.

Leblon (who make the resin figurines and models) and Pixi (the lead soldier type of items) are all very well, but it would be nice to walk into mid-market shops and see Tintin action-figures and play-sets, Lego kits and tee-shirts for children too.

Disney manage to straddle both ends successfully, so it surely would work for Tintin too.

A contact of mine having seen a little of the pre-production work, I know that one company had a prototype line of Tintin action-figures ready for approval a few years back, and they had high hopes for them, but permission was not given.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!