Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Captain Haddock: Help with his Swedish Curses

Harrock n roll
#1 · Posted: 3 May 2004 00:53
Hi!

Can anyone help me, and tell me what the "curses" used in the Swedish books - bomber och granater and anfäkta och anamma - mean in English?

Chris
GurraJG
#2 · Posted: 3 May 2004 15:50
Harrock n roll:
Can you tell us what bomber och granater and anfäkta och anamma mean in English?

Well, bomber och granater! literally means bombs and grenades!, which in the English editions is replaced with thundering typhoons!.

As for anfäkta och anamma, I'm not quite sure what a literal translation would be. But in the English versions it's blistering barnacles!.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#3 · Posted: 3 May 2004 16:19
I don't suppose anfäkta och anamma! has a proper literal translation as they mean "worry" and "damn" - correct me if I'm wrong!
But bomber och granater! seems to have been lifted from the Dutch/ Flemish translation, in which Haddock exclaims bommen en granaten!
GurraJG
#4 · Posted: 3 May 2004 18:47
I don't suppose anfäkta och anamma! has a proper literal translation

To tell you the truth, I have no clue what anfäkta och anamma! means.
Anamma can sometimes be used with fan (damn), so anamma would not mean damn, but it is used with it.
But anfäkta could very well be worry.

And before I go, here's a link to a complete list of Haddock's "curses" in Swedish!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!