Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: His real name, or a nickname?

Page  Page 6 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

yamilah
#51 · Posted: 8 Apr 2005 13:46
I agree with you, akash94:

Nothing else but the most relevant official assertions legible on
http://tintin.francetv.fr/en/index.html or www.tintin.com should be considered:

'Tintin is neither a surname nor a name (...) nor a first name' (page 1/8) and a sudden acceleration 'gives Tintin the distinctive quiff with which he is synonymous ' (page 7/8) ...

If Tintin's two syllables are really synonymous of a kind of 'tilted M-shaped' quiff, then one of his 'many avatars' could be the two French syllables 'penche M', and be part of a kind of very unusual ...rebus, imho... (please see the 'rebus-like writing' thread).

Finding empirically the remnant of the syllables fit 'to tell a story in the story' should then just be a matter of intense and prolonged reflection -not to mention 'thought transmission'.
These syllables would then help identify in the corpus the various sequences of the special and strangely drawn 'avatars' which are capable to 'write' a rebus-like 'story in the story'...

Thus Tintin is much more than a name or a nickname: he belongs to a totally unique world, the world of 'avatars' or word-images able 'to stand for something else'... Case solved, imho...
Tournesol
#52 · Posted: 10 May 2005 23:37
Hergé himself often said in interviews that "Tintin is the name of a hero". It is a hero's name, much like Ulysses or Acilleus. Neither first name nor family name. Just Tintin.

We have to live with that answer, I think.
kevinshowe
#53 · Posted: 13 Jun 2005 19:19
My boss is Indonesian. Her name is Tintin. It's a straightforward, real name.
Danagasta
#54 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 15:53
I would venture to say that Tintin, being taken after Herge's brother, Paul Remi, would have that as a "legal name." Tintin is the sound of the bells Herge heard at the Catholic church not too far from where he was working, or so I hear. It may be a rumor, but that's all I know about it so far. Anyone else hear that?

Courtney
fritzette
#55 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 17:23
I have some classmates nicknamed "Tintin". Their first names would either be "Christine" or "Martin". Probably Tintin might be using a single name like a lot of famous people do.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#56 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 17:51
Tintin is the sound of the bells Herge heard at the Catholic church not too far from where he was working, or so I hear. It may be a rumor, but that's all I know about it so far. Anyone else hear that?

I've not heard that rumour, but it may not be a coincidence that there is a Latin verb tintinnare, "to ring", which forms the English word "tintinnabulation". Also the Latin for a small bell, often rung today in church services, is tintinnabulum.

Ed
Harrock n roll
#57 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 18:36
kevinshowe My boss is Indonesian. Her name is Tintin. It's a straightforward, real name.

I wonder if that goes some way to explaining the number of Tintin fans in Indonesia - he does have quite a substantial following there.

Danagasta Tintin is the sound of the bells Herge heard at the Catholic church not too far from where he was working, or so I hear

Perhaps he had tinnitus...?
Danagasta
#58 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 20:20
hehehehe maybe maybe. Or Tintinitus.
It wouldn't surprise me--the word tintinnabulation is in English, and it means a strong, harsh ringing.
yamilah
#59 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 21:06
Danagasta
Tintin is the sound of the bells

It looks and sounds as if Tintin was born to 'stand for' the image-sound of a bell, actually...

See Tintin's -and Snowy's- birth look here (the image left is Soviets 2nd frame)
Moderator note: Link to unofficial images removed.

Please see the 'rebus-like writing' thread too
Danagasta
#60 · Posted: 24 Jun 2005 17:10
Ding Dong! You're telling me! Thanks for the link, Yamilah.

Page  Page 6 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!