Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Seven Crystal Balls: Meaning of the star and the bat symbol?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

fatwasp
#11 · Posted: 23 Jun 2005 16:35
I was under the impression the six pointed star represents male and female.
The triangle pointing up being male, use your imagination as to why...
The triangle pointing down female, representing the womb.
yamilah
#12 · Posted: 24 Jun 2005 20:58
fatwasp
I was under the impression the six pointed star represents male and female
I'm under the impression this is a slight over-interpretation of the facts...
Your view is interesting, but until you find some echo(es) of it somewhere in the corpus, I'd rather think this is veering a bit off topic...
Harrock n roll
#13 · Posted: 25 Jun 2005 00:18
yamilah
Your view is interesting, but until you find some echo(es) of it somewhere in the corpus, I'd rather think this is veering a bit off topic...

I'm not sure fatwasp's impression was "off-topic" at all: aren't we discussing what the star symbol means?

I'm under the impression this is a slight overinterpretation of the facts...

There are plenty of references out there on the web as to it's meaning.
I came across a site just now which says "it also shows a balance between masculinity and femininity, the upward pointing triangle being symbolic of man and the downward pointing triangle being symbolic of woman."

And there appear to be many other theories regarding it's meaning - water and fire, good vs evil, God and Man, etc so I'm not really sure what the "facts" are.

My view is why does it have to mean anything? It's just a symbol which people have applied interpretations to but it is, after all, a 6 pointed star made from 2 triangles - basic geometry.
profcalculus
#14 · Posted: 28 Jun 2005 01:43
As discussed the symbol has a multitude of 'meanings', but it has long been associated with magic & mystery. Its use certainly predates conventional Judaism as we find this Hexagram widely spread amongst Sumerian culture.

There is much evidence to suggest Abraham was of Chaldean decent, if not a wandering Aramean then a reverred Chaldean Sage. The Chaldean's were of course of the civilisation known as Sumer.

Certainly it can often be identified with the Star of David, however this is most definitely context-dependent.

Were this symbol to appear in a different context there might be greater cause for confusion, however the question mark, the bat and the six pointed Star are clearly part of a stage magicians' stage dressing.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!