Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

[Closed] London blast: Tintinologists in London

marsbar
#1 · Posted: 8 Jul 2005 01:53
Just heard about the bomb attacks across London's transport system. :-( I hope our Tintinologist friends in London and their families are all right.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 8 Jul 2005 07:56
Thankfully no problems here. The route of my girlfriend’s bus went along the same street as where the bus was destroyed, but a little before, so she wasn’t involved in that.

We walked most of the way home, and then one of her colleagues gave us a lift the rest of the way; the abiding memory of the day - for me - will be the throng of literally thousands of mainly subdued people walking home.

I am appalled at our’s and the world’s media, and the sensationalist rumour-mongering they did yesterday, each seemingly trying to out-do the other with new un-substantiated tales of attrocities; nobody seemed to worry about the upset they were causing. I think by the time I was heading for home they were reporting six bombs on the tube, and four buses attacked (not the case). Even as a layman, I could see that the reports of two of the buses being in Russell Square and Tavistock Place, probably meant just one bus, as the two are part of the same long street - but not one report I heard mentioned this possibility, which was in fact the truth. There is a line between the inadvertant mis-reporting of facts in the heat of the moment, and the wanton disregard for the truth.

I was wholly in accord with the senior official who, at a press-conference, begged for them to reflect on what they were saying, and to wait for concrete information, only to be then immediately asked, “Yes, but how many people do you think will be dead?” or some such.

Anyway, I hope that everyone else is okay, and that the city will rally round.
jockosjungle
#3 · Posted: 8 Jul 2005 16:10
Glad to hear you were OK Jock!

I assume the rumour of 6 bombs on the underground stemmed from them happening between 2 stations and both claiming a bomb so to speak.

Totally agree about the rumour mill as well! I didn't have access to a TV at my work but on the radio I was hearing about bombs in Swindon and Brighton, 4 on buses etc.

Rik
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 8 Jul 2005 17:46
Thank-you for your concern marbar, I’m happy to say that I and my family are OK, very sad about yesterday’s events though :(

My heart goes out to the innocent victims of terrorism, not just in London but worldwide.
yamilah
#5 · Posted: 8 Jul 2005 17:54
Happy to hear all of you are safe and sound!
Danagasta
#6 · Posted: 8 Jul 2005 19:26
I'm so glad to hear you guys are alright!!!! It's been raining heavily and the land-lines aren't working so well, so I had to wait to log on....
We're all keeping our friends in the UK in our thoughts and prayers here in the US. As for us, two people from my mother's home city (Knoxville, Tennessee) were among the injured, so it hit home for us too in a way--nothing like it did there of course!
I was wholly in accord with the senior official who, at a press-conference, begged for them to reflect on what they were saying, and to wait for concrete information, only to be then immediately asked, “Yes, but how many people do you think will be dead?” or some such.
These people give us journalists a bad name, and frankly if I could, I would yank their microphones out of the XLR connectors and throw them in the Thames. What disrespect they had for the people!!!!

The Rao family sends our love to everyone in the UK affected by this horrendous event. All the folks at WQUN-AM send their condolences as well.

Courtney Miller-Rao
Jyrki21
#7 · Posted: 8 Jul 2005 19:35
Good to hear the Brits are well...

I'll be heading to your country this Sunday night (arriving Monday morning), although the time I'll be spending in London is minimal (up to Nottingham, then on to Italy)... I'm quite glad now that I specifically asked them to route me through Luton instead of King's Cross, as I imagine it'll still be somewhat hectic...

Needless to say, the mentioning of Italy in the terrorists' statement certainly piqued my interest, although I figure it probably wouldn't be in the next couple weeks anyway... and my time in Rome will probably be limited to a few days...
Charles
#8 · Posted: 12 Jul 2005 04:34
My condolences, sympathies, and prayers are with the London victims of terrorism, as they are with the terrorists' victims everywhere.

Thankfully, from what I've read, the British are taking this cowardly attack just like the hundreds of Nazi attacks during the last War: with sterling courage and resolution.

This topic is closed.