Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Favorite Tintin book cover?

Page  Page 3 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

Syldavia
#21 · Posted: 5 Feb 2005 09:50
My favorite Tintin cover are : Black Island and Destination Moon
I like the clouds coloring in Black Island. Really great.
rrossk87
#22 · Posted: 5 Feb 2005 09:56
Definately Red Rackham's Treasure. It is so enticing and colorful. Your eye is just drawn to it because the Shark submarine is so unique and the underwater environment looks gorgeous. I think the Red Sea Sharks has the cleverest cover though.
Personally, I find the cover to The Calculus Affair quite ugly. The jagged yellow isn't very attractive, and the central picture is pretty dull.
baxter
#23 · Posted: 7 Feb 2005 22:57
I like the underwater scene in Red Rackham's Treasure, with the two bright fish in the foreground,
King Ottokar's Sceptre with its long perspective, and Tintin striding to some location apparantly located behind the viewer,
the brilliant red and black composition in The Blue Lotus,
the Moonscape in Explorers: the bright plain, the deep shadows, the black sky, and the red rocket contrasting with the green rocks to the right and the blue-green Earth above (including New Zealand!- my country),
Picaros - the eye travels down the pyramid and along the line of our four heroes, and out towards ourselves,
Destination: the opposite- the eye travels with the jeep to the rocket and up to the sky.
Dislike The Seven Crystal Balls: have never liked that drab green background.
OJG
#24 · Posted: 8 Feb 2005 11:48
I agree with Rossk that The Calculus Affair cover isn't a particularly nice cover for the same reasons. I also agree with Baxter about Red Rackham's Treasure in particular, but all of the points. Some good observations there!

Another view I share with Baxter is the reason for not really liking The Seven Crystal Balls cover. For similar reasons, I'm not that keen on The Secret of the Unicorn's cover.

I don't really like The Red Sea Sharks either as I think there is too large a block of black on it.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#25 · Posted: 10 Feb 2005 18:48
I quite like the Calculus Affair cover, I must say. I agree with OJG, in that I dislike the Red Sea Sharks cover for the simple fact that there's just too much black ! My favourite cover has to be The Blue Lotus.
baxter
#26 · Posted: 17 Feb 2005 00:27
Yes, the cover of the Blue Lotus is brilliant. The bold red and black design is given just enough "relief" in the form of the pale blue jar on the floor, and the pale green lantern hanging from the ceiling: these two items balancing each other perfectly, with the dragon snaking between the two. And the dark floor and darker skirting board provide depth, orientation and further relief to the eye.
snafu
#27 · Posted: 22 Feb 2005 04:12
All the Tintin covers are good, but the rather weak ones are: "Tintin in America", "The Broken Ear", "The Shooting Star", and "The Castafiore Emerald". The rest seem to resemble landscape scenes or movie posters, both of which actually capture people's attention...
insured_by_wagg
#28 · Posted: 22 Feb 2005 18:22
I think my favourite cover would have to be either 'Tintin And The Picaros' (love Cuthbert Calculus' expression - completely oblivious to what is going on around him as usual) or 'Red Rackham's Treasure' as it is the first Tintin book I ever saw (in my school library), so I always have a real sense of nostalgia when I see that one.

I agree with Dark Gallon - 'The Shooting Star' is probably my least favourite cover too. Either that or 'Tintin In America'.

insured_by_wagg
fatwasp
#29 · Posted: 14 Jul 2005 17:25
my favourite has to be Flight 714. I love the fact that our heroes look like they are creeping carefully towards something. The long corridor behind and the rocks either side make the reader fell like they are hidden away as a voyuer. Also, the Captain and Tintin being armed adds an element of suspense and excitement. As do the two unknown characters (one of which is tied up) A lovely cover. Also Snowy's look of surprise after having seen whatever is behind the reader.

There are no covers i particularily dislike.
Danagasta
#30 · Posted: 14 Jul 2005 17:39
I like the Red Sea Sharks cover--every single time I see it, and this is after ten or so years, I always have the urge to start singing "Come Sail Away." They do look like that's what they could be doing ^_^
Another cover I thought was well done was definitely The Castafiore Emerald. It has a lot of small, complex details compressed into one tiny area---and of course it has a TV production theme as well! I have the Corsican hardcover version (U ghjuvelli di a Castafiore, in Sicilian it's U giuveddi dâ Castafiuri)
and it looks better with the Corsican title than the English or French.
Courtney

PS-in Sicilian her name's pronounced "casha-fiyuuri"

Page  Page 3 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!